What's new

Important Changes to TorGuard VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
One of my TG OpenVPN clients failed to connect this morning. I was greeted with the following message upon logging on the TG site:

IMPORTANT CHANGES TO TORGUARD:

Currently we are in the process of applying some network updates and changes to our OpenVPN protocol to fully support IPv6 and a new stealth protocol update which requires a change in certificate - currently those changes have been applied to the following ports 389 TCP/UDP and 1195 TCP/UDP with further coming over the next few days, if you have issues connecting please see below on how to correct those.

COMMON SYMPTOMS:

- Auth / Reconnect loop
- Certificate error

HOW TO FIX:

- Redownload and install the latest TG Client located here, reinstall if you already have this version.
- If using OpenVPN within a third party client on your router with firmware such as DD-WRT/Asus or Tomato or using on devices such as your NAS then please download the newer configs here or re-generate your config here, you can also grab the new OpenVPN CA certificate details here to update your configs manually.

Xentrk, thanks, much obliged for the tip. Did this affect the client on on of your routers, or through your PfSense box?

Xentrk, thanks, much obliged for the tip. Did this affect the client on on of your routers, or through your PfSense box?
It was an issue with one of the OpenVPN clients on the Asus router I use for script development. Most recently, the x3mRouting project. I was using port 1195 for one of the clients. I manually copied and pasted the new certificate available on the link and that got it working again.

Xentrk, thank you sir. Am looking v384.12 over prior to updating our units tomorrow. Generated a new TG config and performance is still top notch. Not to slide too far off the thread; we recently lost our secondary VPN of many years, with no warning under very strange circumstances. Their canary started displaying a late/out of date status, then was off not by one, bur several days, which should never happen. With no maintenance issues listed for any of the servers, we transferred all traffic to TG. Received a couple of odd, late replies from what used to be excellent support, stating the company was undergoing management transition issues. If it quacks like a duck... Decided it was well past time to pull the plug. Only the larger VPNs are able to keep up for long and TG has been the best for us. Keeping tabs on so many things these days, and your advisory was a good save; I hadn't kept up with TG's status this week. We'd have been dead in the water long ago without TG. Cheers.

@st3v3n, TG really fits my use case. The ability to support all Operating Systems and Router firmware, stealth cipher support for the Great Firewall and the ability to circumvent VPN blocks make it stand out of the crowd. They implemented GSM cipher support once it was release and fired up a WireGuard server for early testing.