What's new

Improve local transfer speeds with AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MjWoneR

Occasional Visitor
I just installed a new RT-AC2900 with the latest stable Merlin 384.13.
The iMac is connected via gigabit ethernet and the iPhone 11 Pro by 5GHz with reported TX/RX Rates 866,7.

I tested transferring some files from Mac to phone, and I get on average 28 MB/s (224Mbps).
Are there settings to tweak to go faster or is this it?

Last edited:
Try the other way.
And definitely try with a laptop on wireless and another laptop/pc wired. That would be a better measurement.
Phones usually are not a good way to check the best performance, they tend to value battery most than anything else.

Try the other way.
And definitely try with a laptop on wireless and another laptop/pc wired. That would be a better measurement.
Phones usually are not a good way to check the best performance, they tend to value battery most than anything else.
I will test with a laptop just to check. But I’m mostly after improving the transfers to the phone, if possible, since I do transfer video files to it.

then make the same test with video files, maybe small pictures are much slower than large files du to much more overhead and WiFi only got half duplex (one direction at a time).
With large files about half link speed should be possible.

then make the same test with video files, maybe small pictures are much slower than large files du to much more overhead and WiFi only got half duplex (one direction at a time).
With large files about half link speed should be possible.

I run some more tests.
The MacBook Air managed large file transfers at around 500Mbit.
The iPhone 11 Pro around 300Mbit.
I played around with the settings of the router, channels, Mhz etc. made things worse, a factory reset brought things back to normal.

Maybe it is just the phone. The upcoming iOS 13.3 update might help with WiFi speed. There are talks about a bug. I was hopping the iPhone could reach 500Mbits.

With Mac OS, you can actually do Wifi tests without third party software. https://www.howtogeek.com/211034/tr...c’s-wi-fi-with-the-wireless-diagnostics-tool/

IPerf is the best way to test LAN speeds. 300 to 500 is not bad, especially that the iPhone only has 2 antenna, even though the chipset is capable of handling 4 antennas, vs the Mac’s have 3 antennas.

Thanks, I’ll check the link. Maybe there is something to be done.

I’ve seen iPhone test vids easily hitting 500Mbit with WiFi 5 using speedtest.com and gigabit connections. Which is why I was underwhelmed by my 300Mbit result.
Though it could just be that they where simply running a Speedtest, while I am transferring a big file that gets written on the phone’s SSD as well.

On my XR I am constantly hitting around 425, with my iPad Pro 2018 model, I am hitting around 550. I have Comcast’s Gig.

I use the Pro Net Analyzer app on my iPhone and iPad. The Status app is another good one. Both are by Techet.

On my XR I am constantly hitting around 425, with my iPad Pro 2018 model, I am hitting around 550. I have Comcast’s Gig.

I use the Pro Net Analyzer app on my iPhone and iPad. The Status app is another good one. Both are by Techet.

I used WiFi SweetSpots to compare, it reached comfortably 650Mbits. It is a different kind of test though since the iPhone is not writing 20GB of data transferred through a samba share.

I used the Mac built in tools to compare traffic with the Asus web app, and there are slight differences in numbers as well. There I could see max speeds up to 550Mbits.
The only accurate way, I can think of, to measure average speed for this specific case scenario would be to transfer the file, and calculate using file size with transfer time.

So maybe there is no problem after all, and as people suggested it is simply what the iPhone is capable of.

you cant do Wifi speed tests while writing on phones memory, it wont tell you whats possible on Wifi-connection but only how fast it will write.

you cant do Wifi speed tests while writing on phones memory, it wont tell you whats possible on Wifi-connection but only how fast it will write.

I was after improving WiFi file transfer to the phone. You are correct, it is not the same thing as WiFi speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!