1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

improve wifi signal upstairs

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by KingJohn, Feb 16, 2019.

1. KingJohn

KingJohn Occasional Visitor

So i have two great
    Asus RT-AC87U Routers. Performance is very good. One handles all the lights, tv, nas, wifi sockets and the other has vpn with laptop, phones and tablets.

Im always looking to improve things, one problem i have is the nas is on one router, tv uses it, but no access direct via the second vpn router.

Wonder if anything could be done securely to get direct access to nas via phones or laptops? Without accidental connection to the internet from a phone to internet outside vpn

I do have cloud access via WD cloud to NAS

Nordvpn installed in router 2

So router 1, upstairs, nas plugged into it, tv access via wifi

Router 2, downstairs, vpn installed inside, provides about 50mb on my 100mb connection, works great

But signal from 2.4 is low and not full on 5g

So perhaps a wifi extender in middle for downstairs?

Thanks

Typo update

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019