What's new

Improving home wireless signal: Old routers as access points or Ubiquiti mesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

K01V4L

New Around Here
I am running an RT-N66U wireless router in my home (with latest Merlin firmware) and would like to improve my wireless signal to a part of the house. I'm contemplating 2 options:

1) Repurpose an old Linksys WRT610N ver.2 as a repeater, either with the Linksys firmware or DDWRT. (I can connect it to an ethernet cable to reduce wireless traffic).

2) Buy a Ubiquiti mesh system

Any opinions as to what is the best option?

I am running an RT-N66U wireless router in my home (with latest Merlin firmware) and would like to improve my wireless signal to a part of the house. I'm contemplating 2 options:

1) Repurpose an old Linksys WRT610N ver.2 as a repeater, either with the Linksys firmware or DDWRT. (I can connect it to an ethernet cable to reduce wireless traffic).

Any opinions as to what is the best option?
Seems like if you have the spare hardware you might as well give that a try before spending the money on the mesh setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The 610N was the worsted router I ever had when it comes to WLAN coverage - I was so happy that I could sell it online!

I would never suggest to use it as 'WLAN Extender' due to the weakness in coverage.
As I have nor yet used a mesh setup, I cannot really judge - read some good and bad stories about the different brands, as it's key that the usable WLAN and the "backbone" to connect the mesh should be separated to get enough bandwidth!
Do not recall the message about the Ubiquiti - as it's a Enterprise brand it should work well, but you never know... :rolleyes:

My suggestion would be quite classic/retro: Use a good router from Asus (e.g. AC66U/N66U) as I do - the firmware makes the difference as the hardware is coming from only 2 vendors (Broadcom & Atheros) - tweaking the firmware makes the routers great! :p

My classic approach includes Gbit cabling to all rooms to have a fast backbone for the WLAN setup and wire connected devices...

Last edited:
Ubiquiti has Commercial and Consumer brands now....but if you already have Ethernet available, you don't "need" to look at the mesh products unless you want to expand past your areas with Ethernet already run. You can use the Ubiquiti UAP-AC line if you have wired back-haul already available. If you want to jump to mesh, there are other options from Ubiquiti including their Amplifi Mesh product which is directed to the Consumer market.

As someone else has already posted, if you don't want to spend, try your setup with the 610N as just an AP. See if that meets your needs. If the range and/or performance isn't where you want it, there are lots of other options depending on your budget.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!