What's new

In AP Mode: are USB applications still available?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

waffles

Regular Contributor
As the titles says....

I am thinking of adding a second ASUS router to my network as an AP. I am leaning towards either an RT-AC56, RT-AC66 or RT-AC68. I would also like to use its USB ports to hook up an external drive and use the iTunes server. I was wondering if these features will still available, when the router is in AP mode.

TIA!

me too. i have the same question. currently i am into double nat as i have a dual wan router and i have the asus connected as the clinet to the router and the only way i can attach my usb devices is by connecting the asus router with a double nat

me too. i have the same question. currently i am into double nat as i have a dual wan router and i have the asus connected as the clinet to the router and the only way i can attach my usb devices is by connecting the asus router with a double nat
I believe it does work
however I never tested it
since My Modem is now in bridge mode I can not check again
However You could try to set yours into AP to see if it works
Just make a backup of your current config to get it back as it is now in an easy way

i just converted my asus router to Access point. here is what i did
1. assign 192.168.0.5 static ip to the asus mac address from my tplink router
2. converted the asus to access point.

i can wirelessly connect via the asus and the ip is assigned from my tplink

however the admin GUI does not come up on the asus router.
when i use the http://192.168.0.5/
nothing comes up

when i type \\192.168.0.5\
windows prompts for user id and pass and when i type my admin password, it does not authenticate it.

Now i am stuck. i cannot access my admin gui to administor the USB devices

i just converted my asus router to Access point. here is what i did
1. assign 192.168.0.5 static ip to the asus mac address from my tplink router
2. converted the asus to access point.

i can wirelessly connect via the asus and the ip is assigned from my tplink

however the admin GUI does not come up on the asus router.
when i use the http://192.168.0.5/
nothing comes up

when i type \\192.168.0.5\
windows prompts for user id and pass and when i type my admin password, it does not authenticate it.

Now i am stuck. i cannot access my admin gui to administor the USB devices

are you sure if that IP has been assigned to your AP ?
Try and look it up with a network scanning app just to be sure
or you could try http://router.asus.com
Otherwise do a reset ...

Yes

As the titles says....

I am thinking of adding a second ASUS router to my network as an AP. I am leaning towards either an RT-AC56, RT-AC66 or RT-AC68. I would also like to use its USB ports to hook up an external drive and use the iTunes server. I was wondering if these features will still available, when the router is in AP mode.

TIA!

I can confirm -- at least for the N66U in AP mode, running Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_2 -- that the USB Applications are available when in AP mode. I have actually tested the Samba sharing and FTP myself. The Media server panel (iTunes and DLNA) and NFS panels are available so I would expect them to work as well, but cannot say for sure since I have not tested them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!