What's new

In asus rt-ac68u router under VPN Client - VPN Server List missing OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jgafa10

Occasional Visitor
I had Asuswrt-Merlin in my Asus RT-AC68U router however had to flash to ASUS stock firmware. Now I'm trying to connect my VPN Ip vanish to the router. I was able to flash the Asuswrt-Merlin Ver. 386.11 but when I go to. VPN tab then VPN Client then OpenVPN or VPN-VPN Client then I click on Add profile.

They have only 2 options. PPTP or L2TP.

OpenVPN Is missing? What I'm I am doing wrong?

Thank you

Go to the OpenVPN Client tab.

No, I'm not using the stock firmware. The upper corner of the router is Asuswrt-Merlin newest version 386.11.

Just missing the open VPN just has 2 options PPTP and L2TP.

Not sure how to get the open VPN? I tried dome tutorials on YouTube but it doesn't explain the missing open VPN.

Does any one have and suggestions?

Thank you

Try clearing your browser cookies or using a different browser.

Otherwise you might have to a do a factory reset.

Ok I cleared browser cookies and used a different browser and reset back to original asus stock firmware funny thing is when I went back to stock firmware the openVPN option was there but not in the merlin firmware. I know i must be missing something but i don't know what it is.

Ok I cleared browser cookies and used a different browser and reset back to original asus stock firmware
I don't know what you mean by "reset back to original asus stock firmware". When you do a factory reset you don't change the firmware that's installed.

I don't know what you mean by "reset back to original asus stock firmware". When you do a factory reset you don't change the firmware that's installed.
OK do you mean by
OK by factory reset you mean by pressing the reset button and holding it down for 5 seconds and then the power button will blink. As that what you mean?

OK by factory reset you mean by pressing the reset button and holding it down for 5 seconds and then the power button will blink. As that what you mean?
Yes that is a factory reset. Or you can you do the same thing through the GUI. Both methods are explained here:

A "hard" reset is not the "recommended method". It is the method to be used "When Standard Reset Isn’t Working" but Asus recommends that you "Please try Standard reset procedure first".

Yes, I see they changed their wording on the link.

There is nothing to be gained by 'standard' resets, nor is doing the Hard Factory Reset an issue either. Do it nice or do it twice.

There is nothing to be gained by 'standard' resets
Yes there is. It means you can reset the router's settings while retaining the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History.

Yes, I see they changed their wording on the link.
No they haven't. The wording is unchanged since the page was created in 2020. Check archive.org.

1684568032310.png

@ColinTaylor, I just did check the waybackmachine. Unless I'm doing it wrong, that December 4th, 2020 entry still says 'updated 2023/02/15'.

And that current page has been updated from the last time I used it, and vastly different from when I first posted about the new method (after learning about it on this forum), from Feb 1, 2021 (and nobody contradicted me back then).

And as for retaining the logs by using the standard method(s), that has never interested me or given me any benefits.

And that current page has been updated from the last time I used it, and vastly different from when I first posted about the new method (after learning about it on this forum), from Feb 1, 2021 (and nobody contradicted me back then).
I did but you chose to ignore it.

And as for retaining the logs by using the standard method(s), that has never interested me or given me any benefits.
This is not about what interests you but what you're telling other people to do.

To reset your router to the factory default settings, you can Press and Hold the Reset button on your router. However, in some cases, this may not successfully reset the router to the default status. ASUS recommends that you try the Hard Factory Reset before attempting any advanced troubleshooting.

No, I didn't ignore it.

I'm reading and processing the information above and beyond what is offered.

Right there from your own quote, it says in some cases the Reset button may not work. Why waste time (beyond logs that won't mean anything in a day or two) to do this twice?

A reset is supposed to give you a good/known state. Not question that state. Nor, spend more time working on it afterward.

You follow the letter of what Asus says, I'll read between the lines.

And a hint that the page has been updated since I first saw it is the link in my Feb 1, 2021 post is now different than one that is created today, from that same page.

Feb 1st, 2021:

Today:

You follow the letter of what Asus says, I'll read between the lines.
Exactly. So tell people that this is your recommendation and not Asus' or anyone else's.

And if it wasn't clear enough in the past it now explicitly says it in bold on that page:
Please try Standard reset procedure first

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!