What's new

In need of assistance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NinaBryan

New Around Here
Ideal Sewing Machines for Kids, Teens, and Beginners: A Quick Review

For individuals of all ages, sewing may be an enjoyable and fulfilling activity. The right sewing machine can be the difference between manufactured garments and handicraft items. There are plenty of products available on the market for beginners, children, and teenagers. A beginner sewing machine's price, portability, built-in stitches, and ease of use are some important factors you should consider when buying one.

You can find the best and most affordable machines regardless of skill level at CraftsSelection website. Our expert team combed through the internet and extracted high-quality products on the market. They are then turned into easy-to-read and skimmable sewing product buying guides to help sewing enthusiasts find what they are looking for right away. Instead of scrolling through millions of options online, save time by visiting CraftsSelection.com today.

Want to know about the best sewing machines for beginners of all ages? To save you from the hassle of going through search engines, we have curated a list of the five best sewing machines with amazing features and stitch quality. Read on and find the right sewing machine for your sewing projects.

☞☞☞ See Also: Best Sewing Tools, Equipment and Accessories Ratings CraftsSelection.com

5 Best Sewing Machines for Kids, Teens, and Beginners

1. Janome JW8100 Sewing Machine

With the Janome JW8100 sewing machine, sewing will be much simpler because of its modern technology. It includes an integrated presser foot lift, auto-declutch bobbin winder, needle threader, and 7mm stitch width.

What more? It offers:
  • 100 Stitches for Simple Sewing and Fashion
  • 7 Buttonholes That Automatically Open
  • It comes with 22 accessories and an extension table.
  • This computerized sewing machine features a 7-piece feed dog system, a top drop-in bobbin, and easy threading.
  • Includes a free arm with a memory function, storage for accessories, and adjustable thread tension.
Selecting stitches is simple, thanks to the illuminated LCD screen and simple navigation buttons. When it comes to sewing clothes, home design, and quilting, the Janome JW8100 is ideal for creative enthusiasts looking to start from scratch. Projects will be completed with strength, accuracy, and confidence with a 100-stitch sewing machine.

Janome JW8100, with a rating of 4.7 and for $299 on Amazon, is a great option for beginners.

2. Singer Tradition 2277 Sewing Machine

Rated a 4.5 on Amazon, Singer Tradition 2277 offers solid performance perfect for new sewers. This sturdy machine comes with many perks like:
  • Fully automatic functionality, including a 1-step buttonhole and automatic needle threader.
  • Adjustable stitch length and width dial for any fabric type.
  • It includes 97 stitch applications
  • 3 presser feet and a free arm
Whether you have just started or want to take your sewing up a notch, this sewing machine will best suit your requirements. This machine costs $219.95 with extra features and accessories. It can turn out to be the best option if you plan to devote a lot of time to sewing.

3. Brother CS7000X Sewing Machine

With a 4.7 rating, Brother CS7000X makes it one of the top-rating sewing machines for young sewers. Let's explore what this machine has to offer
  • Computerized sewing and quilting
  • Backlit LCD touchscreen
  • 70 unique built-in stitches
  • 7 auto-size buttonholes
  • Other features include an automatic needle threader, jam-resistant drop-in bobbin, and needle bar.
Priced at $239.99, the Brother CS7000X is known as a user-friendly "smart" sewing machine. With a blend of technology and the ability to handle large projects, it can take your sewing to new heights.

❖❖❖ Picked For You: List of Best Craft and Sewing Products CraftsSelection.com

4. Brother GX37 Sewing Machine

For dependability and user-friendliness, the Brother GX37 mechanical sewing machine is rated at 4.7. It is available for $129.99 on Amazon.

Isn't that amazing? You get to sew your favorite garments with this high-quality machine. What more does it offer? Time to find out:
  • 37 unique built-in stitches, including decorative options
  • 6 sewing feet, a needle set, and bobbins
  • Automatic needle threader and drop-in jam-resistant top bobbin
  • A portable and lightweight sewing machine with 7.98 pounds in weight.
Delivering reliability and functionality exceeding its low price tag, the Brother GX37 rates as a top-value pick for novices.

No doubt, Brother stands as a reputable brand. If you are looking for a sewing machine that matches your skill set, then you have landed at the right place. CraftsSelection has some amazing options for you to choose from. Based on the top product reviews, we have curated a list of sewing products and supplies so that you can enjoy your hobby while making it economical at the same time. From sewing machines to heat presses, we have everything that can help you create masterpieces. Visit our website and find out how we can make your sewing journey one-of-a-kind.

5. Bernette 35 Sewing Machine

Finally, the Bernette 35 makes it to the list, especially for parents considering introducing their child to the world of sewing. This sewing machine is mechanical and does not have any computerized controls. Turning the three knobs will set the stitch's width, length, and pattern. During stitching, the tension can be changed with a wheel that is conveniently accessible.

Additionally, the Bernette 35 boasts a quick and simple 1-step automatic buttonhole feature. What makes it appealing is the following:
  • Buttonhole feature that operates automatically
  • Adjustable stitch width and length
  • Consists of 7 snap-on presser feet
  • Presser foot lifter with two stages
  • 23 utility and decorative stitches in total.
Priced at $354, this simple and easy-to-learn sewing machine is one of the ideal options for beginners, teens, and older children.

➢➢➢ Read more: Best Sewing Tools and Equipment Comparison Buying Guides CraftsSelection.com

Wrap Up!

Sewing opens up creative opportunities, mending solutions, and bonding experiences—when powered by the right machine. For complete beginners and kids, opt for simpler interfaces at affordable prices, like the Janome JW8100 and Bernette 35. Allow room to grow into intermediate skills with the Singer Tradition or Brother GX37 mechanical models. Finally, the computerized Brother CS7000X promises high-tech functionality down the road. Compare accessories, stitches, and key features to find your best match!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @NinaBryan.

What firmware are you running on your router?

Go to the Administration, Privacy page and be sure you withdraw all permissions you've granted. Then, perform a reboot via the GUI. Be sure the privacy options aren't enabled afterward.

If the above doesn't work, a full reset is recommended for the fastest resolution possible.

My advice? Upgrade to an AX class router sooner rather than later. I believe that AC class routers are effectively end of life, today. The RT-AX68U is a good unit to test in your environment. It will be a huge upgrade over your old router. See the following link that shows how much better it is vs. 2x RT-AC86Us (much better routers than you have now, but again, not worth buying today anymore).

Firmware version?

Look at LAN - Switch Control. If there's an option for CTF/NAT acceleration make sure it's enabled.

Go to Administration - Privacy and withdraw from any licence agreements there and reboot.

However, when I connect through my AC68u router, the speed drops to around 200 Mb/s. I've already taken the step of disabling QOS and Traffic Analyzer, but the issue persists.
How are you testing the broadband speed? Using the RT-AC68U's GUI speed test page, or using a wired computer's web browser to access speedtest.net?

Don't use the RT-AC68U's GUI speed test page, it is well known (on that specific router) to report about half the actual speed due to using a single core to perform the test.

Other factors like network setup (wired vs wifi, gigabit or not, etc.) can also affect the speed test results.

When I directly connect to my ISP's modem, both wired and wireless connections yield a speed of approximately 500 Mb/s. However, when I connect through my AC68u router, the speed drops to around 200 Mb/s.

That's about what to expect from teh AC68U...

While it was a great router back in the day, it 9 year old tech - and in dog years, that's a long time...

The RT-AC68U router should quite well be capable to deal with 500 / 500 Mbps, at least with a wired connection from the router to e.g. a PC.
My general guideline:
  1. Start with checking the wired connections between the modem and the router and between the router and client devices.
    • Verify that the WAN and LAN port speeds are sufficient (1 Gbps).
  2. If there are, disconnect all USB devices.
  3. Install the latest available firmware version.
  4. Reset to factory defaults.
  5. Do not load an old configuration backup file, manual configure the router as outlined in the next step.
    • While making configuration changes: write them down so you do have a list of changes you made from factory defaults.
    • Restoring a configuration backup might bring back old issues, that is why the manual configuration is advised.
    • Whenever you restore a configuration backup: only restore the backup to exactly the same firmware branch and version as it was made with.
  6. Manual configure the router with the bare minimum, as:
    • Router Login Name.
    • Router Login Password.
    • WAN Connection Type, and what is required to connect to the Internet.
    • Wireless SSID's and WPA Pre-Shared Key's.
    • Leave everything else default.
  7. Test the router behavior:
    1. Test with a wired connection first.
      • Verify that the WAN and LAN port speeds are sufficient (1 Gbps).
    2. Test with a wireless connection at an unobstructed distance of about 3 meters.
      • To come close to 500 / 500 Mbps via wireless you need a client device that connects at 5 GHz with 2x2 802.11ac.
      • Verify the Tx rate and Rx rate.
  8. After the above works all well you can consider more manual router configuration changes.

Settings that may help to fix wireless issues are:
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 2.4 GHz:
    • Modulation Scheme: Up to MCS 7 (802.11n)
    • Airtime Fairness: Disable
    • Explicit Beamforming: Disable
    • Universal Beamforming: Disable
  • Advanced Settings - Wireless - Professional - 5 GHz:
    • Airtime Fairness: Disable
    • Universal Beamforming: Disable

Just as an observation. I've devices that will get as much out of my 900/100 connection when connected device-switch-router as is possible. I also have devices that don't, even though I know when connected directly to the ONT (fibre modem) they can push that at full speed. *It's behaviour that doesn't impact anything (the devices I need to be fast are), I'll probably do a "Windows refresh" on one of them soon.
In many cases, I have more interesting things to waste my time on! Though if it was something I needed to be fast, that would be different!

Hello everyone! I hope you're all having a great day. I'm in need of assistance with my internet connection. When I directly connect to my ISP's modem, both wired and wireless connections yield a speed of approximately 500 Mb/s. However, when I connect through my AC68u router, the speed drops to around 200 Mb/s. I've already taken the step of disabling QOS and Traffic Analyzer, but the issue persists. Any insights or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a 1Ghz variant of the 68U (which several 68Us were also). I've noticed in the past that when doing major upgrades (like 384 to 386) my speed became limited to around 250mbit. A factory reset and reconfigure solved this. I'm running 386.11, I factory reset and manually reconfigured after upgrading to that, and with trend micro and traffic analyzer enabled (no QOS) I can get 800-900M wired and 400-500M wireless (5ghz).

So I'd recommend upgrading to the latest firmware, doing a factory reset and reconfigure, and see how it goes. Should be able to get 500M easily over wired and wireless (maybe a tad less on wireless depending on your environment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!