In some dire need of assistance (AX86U)

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Just to clarify what I meant above. The problem is not with the radar/channel change as such. AFAICT it's because the router has moved from the only channel group in my area that isn't being used by nearby AP's to one that is heavily used.

This can be demonstrated if I deliberately select a non-DFS channel that's occupied by other AP's and restart the router. After the router comes back up it immediately goes into the 5GHz crash/reinit loop always showing the same error, "wlc_check_assert_type HAMMERING: reinit_reason 2".

I did briefly try the latest stock firmware and noticed that Asus have turned off all those WiFi debugging messages now (or maybe they changed the log level). I didn't do enough debugging before I reinstalled Merlin to determine whether the problem is fixed or whether you just don't see the messages anymore.

As like you I can work around the problem for the most part, I'll wait until Merlin merges in the current Asus code and do more testing then. Hopefully Asus has fixed the problem rather than just hiding the messages. The problem with just hiding the crashes is that every time the AP is reinitialised it causes a momentary pause in WiFi traffic of about 400 to 600 ms. I imagine that might be quite annoying for latency sensitive applications.

Last edited:

drojo

New Around Here
I have also written to Asus exposing this problem and they do not seem to have much intention of solving it. So I had no choice but to find the solution myself since I did all the possible tests and nothing. The only way to make it work has been to put a WIFI repeater and connect all the google homes to that access point. They continue to use the DHCP server of my ASUS AX68U but they connect to the repeater's Wi-Fi and they have completely finished the problems and have not disconnected again, so apart from solving the problem it is clear that the problem is in the driver, firmware or some of the WIFI of the ASUS AX. I do not know if they can fix it in ASUS or it is simply some hardware that is impossible to fix by firmware. So here I leave you the solution that if it works even if it is just to buy another small wifi repeater but that works perfectly!

fallinnn

New Around Here
Ah so this is why my wifi6 phone kept falling back to mobile connection completely random and my desktop wifi6 160MHz very often randomly seemed to drop the connection even tho the wifi symbol was always on? My nest audio didn't seem to care though... My other devices (tv and more) that's using the 2.4ghz never had any stability issues. Well that's disappointing! I just returned my ax88u thinking it was the issue and was about to buy the ax86u... Guess I'll have to stick to my ac5300 a little while longer.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!