What's new

In telent shell, less command will not accept many commands including / and h

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwp

Regular Contributor
I am not sure what is happening here at all. But in a telnet or ssh shell on my new GS-AX3000, the less command (pretty standard, busybox stuff) refuses to respond to many keyboard commands. Most significant to me is the lack of the find (/) but there are others too. I can see that the go (G) command works. I suppose it could be something in the setup on my putty terminal on Windows. But it is using the same settings and all or my other telent/ssh terminals. Is the busybox less applet installed on this router somehow minimal/crippled? Seems odd. But I think I have noticed other busybox commands not accepting familiar command line options (cannot quite recall which one at this moment) so I guess that is possible. But no idea why this should be. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Busybox applets are already cut-down versions of their regular GNU counterparts. Some applets can even be scaled down even further at compile time, as BB's goal is to be as small as possible, for embedded devices, so some switches are optional. It's possible they don't compile less with all the options you usually expect to see, which would make sense since Asuswrt itself doesn't use it.

Thanks very much for the information. I suspected as much. Perhaps I can get an Entware less or busybox and use it instead.

Don't install the Entware version of Busybox. It will conflict with the router's built-in version and cause problems, as people have recently found out. If you must have a fuller version of less install the less package.

Thanks very much for the information. I suspected as much. Perhaps I can get an Entware less or busybox and use it instead.
Try the more applet, maybe it's more complete than their less applet.

This is why the router's command line environment is so much more challenging than your typical Linux desktop. You have to work around all these crazy limitations. Things other developers don't have to deal with. Forces you to be really creative at times.

I remember years ago when @Brainslayer created the micro (2MB) version of dd-wrt for several devices, including my ASUS WL-520gC. It was so stripped down due to the lack of flash, there was no ls command! Can you imagine having to deal w/ a CLI where you can't see the file system! LOL

Makes you appreciate how much better things are today.

Makes you appreciate how much better things are today.
To the point where Asus has two separate firmware partitions, so they can write to the offline partition when updating.

I am just glad I have been able to replicate all the functionality I had on my failing Netgear R6400 v2 AND get so many great features on the new Asus GS-AX3000. I love being able to use my own, local DNS server. Thanks to all!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!