What's new

INCONSISTENT CONNECTION

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freem

Occasional Visitor
Small business. Main network is handled by ISP. We manage our wireless network. We have 3 AC66U. 1 is running in AP Mesh Router mode, 2 are in node mode. The AP Router is statically assigned an IP, subnet, default gateway, and DNS server. We are constantly dropping connection, nodes go offline, "no internet available". I have rebooted many times, clicked apply on the wireless settings. Logs look like this all day everyday:

Jun 26 06:26:00 roamast: discover candidate node (rssi: -76dbm) for weak signal strength client (rssi: -85dbm)
Jun 26 06:26:00 roamast: eth1: disconnect weak signal strength station
Jun 26 06:26:00 roamast: eth1: remove client from monitor list
Jun 26 08:56:10 roamast: discover candidate node (rssi: -48dbm) for weak signal strength client (rssi: -84dbm)
Jun 26 08:56:10 roamast: eth2: disconnect weak signal strength station

Small business. Main network is handled by ISP. We manage our wireless network. We have 3 AC66U. 1 is running in AP Mesh Router mode, 2 are in node mode. The AP Router is statically assigned an IP, subnet, default gateway, and DNS server. We are constantly dropping connection, nodes go offline, "no internet available". I have rebooted many times, clicked apply on the wireless settings. Logs look like this all day everyday:

Jun 26 06:26:00 roamast: discover candidate node (rssi: -76dbm) for weak signal strength client (rssi: -85dbm)
Jun 26 08:56:10 roamast: discover candidate node (rssi: -48dbm) for weak signal strength client (rssi: -84dbm)

Log entries indicate wireless client roaming.

How is the AiMesh (not AP) router connected to the Internet?

How are the remaining two AiMesh nodes connected to the AiMesh router... wired or wireless backhaul? If wireless, at what distance?

Did you install the latest 66U firmware, then reset all routers, then configure the AiMesh router and add the nodes... in that order?

Are you using separate SSIDs for each band?

OE

Cant remember a RT-AC66U ever got Aimesh!

Do you mean something else or are they RT-AC66U_B1?

Or are they simply configured as AP, without any Aimesh?

I am stumped by 'ISP is handling the main network'. :eek:

No. :)

I am stumped by 'ISP is handling the main network'. :eek:

ISP gateway could be routing Ethernet... the "main network". OP could be trying to add on wireless network via AiMesh router and nodes... maybe it should be (or is) AiMesh router in AP mode plus nodes.

OE

ISP gateway could be routing Ethernet... the "main network". OP could be trying to add on wireless network via AiMesh router and nodes... maybe it should be (or is) AiMesh router in AP mode plus nodes.

OE

Still shocking to me, either way. :)

Still shocking to me, either way. :)
Not necessarily shocking at all. Just because he's uses the word "ISP" don't assume it's the same kind of relationship that you or I have with our ISPs, or indeed is the same type of ISP. He says he's a business and the main network is handled by ISP. That sounds like he has contracted them to manage his business' (wired) network infrastructure (which is a wise decision for a small business). The wireless network is obviously not covered by his support contract.

Not necessarily shocking at all. Just because he's using the word "ISP" don't assume it's the same kind of relationship that you or I have with our ISPs, or, in eed is the same type of ISP. He says he's a business and the main network is handled by ISP. That sounds like he has contracted them to manage his business' (wired) network infrastructure (which is a wise decision for a small business). The wireless network is obviously not covered by his support contract.

I understand and am still shocked. :)

An internal, private network isn't one if external third party users have access to it, IMO.

An internal, private network isn't one if external third party users have access to it, IMO.
It depends on what you mean by "access", it might mean physically on-site. Even remote access is usually controlled by the business (e.g. by enabling a VPN and account restrictions). That doesn't mean they have unrestricted access to run riot on your network whenever they want to.

If you trust your employees with access to your network how is that any different than outsourcing your IT support to a third party (with the associated legal contracts, SLAs, etc.). Do you want your cabling, switches, routers, domain controllers, credit card readers, POS terminals, etc. installed and maintained by professionals with everything kept secure and legally compliant, or do you want the office secretary to "have a go" in her spare time.

At the end of the day a business scenario is completely different from a home scenario.

1. Update all of them to the latest firmware.
2. Clear NVRAM.
3. Disable 'Roaming assistant'.
4. Disable all of ' Beamforming'.
5. Assign an IP for 'Node 1' manually (e.g. 192.168.1.10)
6. Assign an IP for 'Node 2' manually (e.g. 192.168.1.11)
7. Reboot all of them.

I recommend Google WiFi with wired backhaul, you'll never have wifi peoblems again! Might not be the fastest or most privacy oriented choice, but the most set-and-forget-est it is.

Log entries indicate wireless client roaming.

How is the AiMesh (not AP) router connected to the Internet?

How are the remaining two AiMesh nodes connected to the AiMesh router... wired or wireless backhaul? If wireless, at what distance?

Did you install the latest 66U firmware, then reset all routers, then configure the AiMesh router and add the nodes... in that order?

Are you using separate SSIDs for each band?

OE

Nodes are wireless backhaul. The nodes are 20 feet away from Mesh Router. Today I made sure the latest firmware was installed, reset all routers, reconfigured the router, and then added the nodes. Seperate SSID's for each band.

One thing I read online is that in order for a guest network to work, the router must have DHCP server, which my LAN IP is static. Maybe this was the issue. I had previously had guest network enabled. I have not enabled on today's reset process.

It depends on what you mean by "access", it might mean physically on-site. Even remote access is usually controlled by the business (e.g. by enabling a VPN and account restrictions). That doesn't mean they have unrestricted access to run riot on your network whenever they want to.

If you trust your employees with access to your network how is that any different than outsourcing your IT support to a third party (with the associated legal contracts, SLAs, etc.). Do you want your cabling, switches, routers, domain controllers, credit card readers, POS terminals, etc. installed and maintained by professionals with everything kept secure and legally compliant, or do you want the office secretary to "have a go" in her spare time.

At the end of the day a business scenario is completely different from a home scenario.

Not necessarily shocking at all. Just because he's uses the word "ISP" don't assume it's the same kind of relationship that you or I have with our ISPs, or indeed is the same type of ISP. He says he's a business and the main network is handled by ISP. That sounds like he has contracted them to manage his business' (wired) network infrastructure (which is a wise decision for a small business). The wireless network is obviously not covered by his support contract.

You are correct.

Nodes are wireless backhaul. The nodes are 20 feet away from Mesh Router. Today I made sure the latest firmware was installed, reset all routers, reconfigured the router, and then added the nodes. Seperate SSID's for each band.

One thing I read online is that in order for a guest network to work, the router must have DHCP server, which my LAN IP is static. Maybe this was the issue. I had previously had guest network enabled. I have not enabled on today's reset process.

The guest network(s) in the AiMesh router only broadcast from the router node. As such, not very usable in a 3-node business application.

What is unclear is how you are integrating your wireless AiMesh networks with the ISP wired Ethernet network. Do you have one router/DHCP server for both networks, i.e., the AiMesh is in AP mode, connected to the ISP router?

ISP >> ISP router (DHCP server) >> AiMesh router in AP mode >> AiMesh node(s)

OE

Last edited:
The guest network(s) in the AiMesh router only broadcast from the router node. As such, not very usable in a 3-node business application.

What is unclear is how you are integrating your wireless AiMesh networks with the ISP wired Ethernet network. Do you have one router/DHCP server for both networks, i.e., the AiMesh is in AP mode, connected to the ISP router?

OE

This is correct!

There is a second DHCP for VOIP as well

This is correct!

There is a second DHCP for VOIP as well

So, the ISP router is serving IP addresses to the wired Ethernet clients AND to the wireless AiMesh nodes and clients.

What do you mean by a 'second DHCP for VoIP as well'? You make it sound like there are too many DHCP servers, which could take us back to your original connectivity issues.

OE

The nodes are 20 feet away from Mesh Router.

Would someone advise me on what is gained by having two RT-AC66U_B1 aimesh nodes placed 20 feet away from the RT-AC66U_B1 router? Unless the environment is unfavorable for the WiFi signal, wouldn't the one router be about as good, and less trouble, than three devices that close together?

So, the ISP router is serving IP addresses to the wired Ethernet clients AND to the wireless AiMesh nodes and clients.

What do you mean by a 'second DHCP for VoIP as well'? You make it sound like there are too many DHCP servers, which could take us back to your original connectivity issues.

OE

Correct. ISP router is serving to wired and to the wireless AiMesh nodes and clients.

It's only
Would someone advise me on what is gained by having two RT-AC66U_B1 aimesh nodes placed 20 feet away from the RT-AC66U_B1 router? Unless the environment is unfavorable for the WiFi signal, wouldn't the one router be about as good, and less trouble, than three devices that close together?

Conference rooms. Lower and upstairs.

I should add previous wireless had little to no signal in these rooms.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!