What's new

Inconsistent streaming over powerline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eddy44

New Around Here
Hi
I have an ASUS RT-N66U router with the latest Merlin firmware. The router streams HD and 4K HDR video from YouTube no buffering to a Sony Android TV via a Tplink powerline 100MB device.
I have a Western digital NAS Box 8TB connected via wired LAN across the TPlink and also a USB 3.0 HDD into the router. On the Sony TV I use VLC to play media from either devices. Sometime I get buffering sometime the devices disappear from VLC local network. The WD devices are marked as smb and upnp the upnp option disappears but smb is always there.
Why is the LAN slow and the internet fast over the same connection why does the upnp devices disappear from VLC and return after they are rebooted is there a setting in the router I need to change and is the latest Merlin firwmare 380.68.4 stable.
Thanks

I suspect the powerline connection. Temporarily replace it with an Ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away.

I've used three TP-Link AV500 devices for a year or so; two have had to be replaced, overall reliability isn't great. Tim's suggestion makes sense to me.

Hi
Thanks sorry for the late response

The Tplinks are 1200mbs devices I was using the 100mb ones to start with. I know cable is the best option but not easy to install here.

HD and 4K from Youtube via a paid VPN over the Tplink devices work fine from the internet

Even some of the HD videos on the network drive work fine its just a few files that don't

Best Regards

The bitrates on "HD" and "4K" streaming from the Internet are not very high. So it's entirely possible, depending on what you're streaming, that the Internet content doesn't require the same bandwidth. Also, my sense is that streaming sources are better designed to handle intermittent/unstable connections and thus may be less prone to stuttering, even at the same bitrates.

If you have coax in your rooms I would consider MoCA adapters.