What's new

Incorrect password length in logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketJSquirrel

My RT-N66U is working fine, but I am seeing hundreds of instances of this error message in the log each day:
Aug 30 19:56:47 smbd[696]: [2012/08/30 19:56:47, 0] libsmb/ntlm_check.c:smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1(55)
Aug 30 19:56:47 smbd[696]: smb_pwd_check_ntlmv1: incorrect password length (70)
I am not using Samba on this router (although I did use it on a previous router using the same USB drive now connected to my RT-N66U). Should I have cause for concern? Is there an easy way to make this message go away? I'm running the latest Asus firmware.

My RT-N66U is working fine, but I am seeing hundreds of instances of this error message in the log each day:
I am not using Samba on this router (although I did use it on a previous router using the same USB drive now connected to my RT-N66U). Should I have cause for concern? Is there an easy way to make this message go away? I'm running the latest Asus firmware.

Are you sure you do not have samba turn on? IE.. printer/hard drive sharing. Maybe you have CIFS map to your pc's share folder.

Are you sure you do not have samba turn on? IE.. printer/hard drive sharing. Maybe you have CIFS map to your pc's share folder.

Hmm, I guess I must have Samba turned on because I am sharing the attached USB drive (which is formatted as EXT3).

I don't recall doing anything to set up Samba, though; in particular, I didn't set a password (other than the admin password for the router). Everyone on my private network can read & write the drive, so I wonder where this password complaint is coming from?

Last edited:
OK, I think I found the answer in this post. It's a Windows 7 Pro security setting, not a router problem.

Hi,
Since the link seems to be broken, did you by any chance remember what the answer is? Did you manage either to solve or to get rid of the message?
Thank you in advance

In Windows 7 Pro, this is what I had to do:

Open the administrative tool Local Security Policy.

Under Local Policies, open Security Options.

In the long list of policies, find Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level.

Set this to use NTLMv2 if negotiated. See attached image.

Reboot.

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,708

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!