Diversion Increased YouTube ads when blocking is enabled in Diversion

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Samosa

Regular Contributor
I've got a strange problem with Diversion and after advice please.

When enabling the beta/experimental feature to block YouTube ads, everyone in the household (all ios/ipad-os users) are complaining they are seeing adverts every couple of minutes, this seems to go away if i disable the feature. I've looked at the main diversion thread and other seems to comment they see improvements in the number of adverts.

I had not informed anyone Diversion was installed or the feature to block YouTube ads as I wanted to see if they'd notice but i got complaints instead.

Does anyone know why ads are increased when enabling it?

Last edited:

juched

Not sure about Diversion, but having built the script for the Unbound version, I have personally disabled it since they seem to have made some changes (right around the time of the big outage). For me, Youtube stops working if I have it enabled and I have not had any time to try to figure out why.

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
Not sure about Diversion, but having built the script for the Unbound version, I have personally disabled it since they seem to have made some changes (right around the time of the big outage). For me, Youtube stops working if I have it enabled and I have not had any time to try to figure out why.
while I'm not getting ads blocked in youtube with unbound's version active on my system, It's nowhere near as bad as with diversion - I was getting hour-long infomercial "ads" before 6 minute videos. And lest anyone take that to be a slam of diversion or the dev behind it, that's more a statement about what the fine people at Alphabet think of our efforts to deny them ad revenue.
youtube ad blocking will be forever experimental, because they keep an eye on our efforts here, and then change their recipe...think slow motion tennis: serve, volley, volley, return, etc until someone scores a point. and then it begins again, back and forth.

That said - @juched and @thelonelycoder should team up and reverse engineer the blocking that brave browser has going on. between what I'm running on my router at any given moment and whatever that browser is, I get significantly fewer ads when i open youtube vids in that browser. I'm not saying it's ad-free youtube, but occasionally you do get no ads on videos that way in my experience.

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
Last edited:

New2This

Diversion: found 2 new YouTube hosts, total is 83 (counter at 4 of 30)

everything seems to be working here

Your LAN/Dnsfilter is set to Router?

Last edited:

JaimeZX

What Xentrk said. uBlock Origin for Firefox on Windows & Linux. Haven't had a single Youtube ad since installing that.

sammyke007

New Around Here
Funny to see this. I got the exact same thing. Since enabling the Youtube adblocking again two weeks ago, I get SPAMMED by ads in the Android Youtube app. Laptops/PCs are fine because of uBlock, but my mobile devices show more ads than vids lately...

JemTheWire

Yep. I have same with my FireTV. YT ad blocking used to work quite well, but doesn’t seem to work at all recently. Thank heavens for uBock on my PC.

JemTheWire

Well it sure seems that way!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!