1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Insatlled one version of Merlin but another version number showing

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Rumboogy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Rumboogy

Rumboogy Occasional Visitor

I upgraded a RT-AC1900P from 384.11 to 384.11_2. But after the firmware upgrade the version is still shown as being 384.11. Any thoughts?

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

You need to try again after removing any USB drives and rebooting before you flash.

Davidncali001 likes this.
  3. Rumboogy

I don't have any USB drives and I did the upgrade after powering on the router. I can try power cycling again and re-upgrading.

4. dave14305

dave14305 Very Senior Member

Make sure you didn’t upload an extra, old version of 384.11 that was still left in your Downloads folder. :)

5. Rumboogy

It took installing it three times to get it to stick. Very unclear why this would be the case.

6. John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald Occasional Visitor

Try TAB: Admin / System / Format JFFS partition at next boot , set to YES and APPLY on Bottom of Screen and Reboot.

7. Davidncali001

Davidncali001 Regular Contributor

I noticed for my RT 86 that even without the USB plugged in I have to reboot the router for the new firmware to take. So I reboot, upload firmware, then it sticks.

8. martinr

martinr Part of the Furniture

I seem to remember L&LD mentioning this sort of behaviour and it’s probably why, in his guide, he wrote:

“Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).”

skeal, Swistheater and L&LD like this.
  9. Rumboogy

The one part of the story I left out was that I was switching back to the AC68 router (after junking my AC86). I did not restart the ATT gateway - I just unplugged the AC86 and re-plugged the AC68. Then I proceeded to try to update the firmware with two failures. After rebooting everything and re-flashing the firmware I had success.

martinr likes this.