What's new

Installing AdGuard Home on ASUS RT-AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
I have been using Adguard mobile app and desktop version on my individual mobile and desktop / laptop devices.

However, I have been reading about AdGuard Home and found that it can be installed on routers. Does anyone have any experience of installing and using Adguard Home on ASUS RT-AX92U router or any other ASUS with AIMesh routers ?

I am not talking of Adguard DNS Servers but Adguard Home ? I am already using OpenDNS DNS servers for safety on my ASUS RT-AX92U router.

I have been using Adguard mobile app and desktop version on my individual mobile and desktop / laptop devices.

However, I have been reading about AdGuard Home and found that it can be installed on routers. Does anyone have any experience of installing and using Adguard Home on ASUS RT-AX92U router or any other ASUS with AIMesh routers ?

I am not talking of Adguard DNS Servers but Adguard Home ? I am already using OpenDNS DNS servers for safety on my ASUS RT-AX92U router.
Hi @esfu :)

if i got the AdGuard information correctly then AdGuard Home works currently only on one device a Brume-W and that is a Kickstarter project but AdGuard also writes that "But we don't plan to stop here. We will seek more opportunities for similar collaborations." so they want to improve there service with collaborations.

So i do not think that it is currently not possible to run and/ or install AdGuard Home on any ASUS router so far. Not on your ASUS RT-AX92U, not on mine ASUS RT-AX88U.

Regards :cool:

Does anyone have any experience of installing and using Adguard Home on ASUS RT-AX92U router or any other ASUS with AIMesh routers ?

You need this firmware:

And this add-on:

Not on your ASUS RT-AX92U, not on mine ASUS RT-AX88U.

See above.

You need this firmware:

And this add-on:

See above.
I just ran an update check (by the way, it is set to automatic updates also) and the firmware I have is not merlin firmware. It appears that the default firmware on the ASUS RT-AX92U is not merlin. In fact the firmware I have does not even have the Professional features tab in the settings. I am not sure as to why that would be the case ?

Is the merlin firmware above supported officially by ASUS.

I have just spent a small fortune for a two pack ASUS RT-AX92U and will not like to take big chances with either of them.

I just ran an update check (by the way, it is set to automatic updates also) and the firmware I have is not merlin firmware. It appears that the default firmware on the ASUS RT-AX92U is not merlin. In fact the firmware I have does not even have the Professional features tab in the settings. I am not sure as to why that would be the case ?

Is the merlin firmware above supported officially by ASUS.

I have just spent a small fortune for a two pack ASUS RT-AX92U and will not like to take big chances with either of them.

Read about Merlin here :

No Asus router comes with Merlin installed .

Merlin (Eric) does not produce any firmware for the AX92-U , that is supplied by the developer @GNUton.

Merlin firmware is perfectly safe and @Merlin works closely with Asus developers having greatly improved the ASUS official firmware many times.

Read about Merlin here :

No Asus router comes with Merlin installed .

Merlin (Eric) does not produce any firmware for the AX92-U , that is supplied by the developer @GNUton.

Merlin firmware is perfectly safe and @Merlin works closely with Asus developers having greatly improved the ASUS official firmware many times.
How do updates happen to merlin firmware if it is officially not supported by ASUS ?

In case I do take a chance, can I can save the current firmware file and revert to the same in case it is required going back to auto updates and all that.

Config files can be used on Merlin or Official firmware but are not interchangeable.

Merlin firmware can be updated manually or automatically, I always preferred manually so I can wait to
see if the new firmware is okay before updating.

You can download and store previous Merlin or Asus official firmware should you have problems.

I would advise staying with Asus firmware unless you have experience with networking. You can use Adguard DNS with your router and even with DoT. In time your router will get the Asus 388 code base firmware which has some additional features you can enable via the Asus app on iOS or Android.
You can brick a router with custom firmware! Changing the default WIFI settings can also lead to poor performance.

I would advise staying with Asus firmware unless you have experience with networking. You can use Adguard DNS with your router and even with DoT. In time your router will get the Asus 388 code base firmware which has some additional features you can enable via the Asus app on iOS or Android.
You can brick a router with custom firmware! Changing the default WIFI settings can also lead to poor performance.

I would advise burying your ASUS router in the Mariana Trench after all they are made in China.

It makes me laugh , all these folk spending all this time worrying about security and then they plug their world into a Chinese routing device.:D

I would advise burying your ASUS router in the Mariana Trench after all they are made in China.

It makes me laugh , all these folk spending all this time worrying about security and then they plug their world into a Chinese routing device.:D
The box says Made in Taiwan. I am not sure how much Chinese involvement is into it given the current state of affairs.

Anyway, independently, which is the best router / device from security point of view for home network and is affordable as per your personal experience.

The box says Made in Taiwan. I am not sure how much Chinese involvement is into it given the current state of affairs.

Anyway, independently, which is the best router / device from security point of view for home network and is affordable as per your personal experience.
Your Asus is about as good as it gets for a SOHO router. They have continued support for products far longer than others.

I have 2 , relegated to AP's , box and both devices are labelled made in China.

Use whatever makes you happy, I have been using the Turris Omnia for @ 12 months now and it is superb.

I have 2 , relegated to AP's , box and both devices are labelled made in China.

Use whatever makes you happy, I have been using the Turris Omnia for @ 12 months now and it is superb.
And where do you think all the electronics in that device are manufactured? My guess is….. China :)

And where do you think all the electronics in that device are manufactured? My guess is….. China :)

Some of the individual components are but the board and is assembled and programmed in Europe so there is no chance of nefarious installations.

I have just spent a small fortune for a two pack ASUS RT-AX92U

You did a mistake because this router is 4.5-years old already and has a history of rare and buggy firmware updates. It often comes on sale or liquidation price (single or in pairs) and I personally expect it to be discontinued soon. It was originally offered as AC "mesh" system with AX wireless backhaul. In case you want to keep the set and use it - run stock Asuswrt on both at default settings. This advice is based on the questions you have asked above.

Even Apple phones and Tesla cars and most other goods we consume are manufactured either fully or partly in China and all have a sizeable volume coming out of China. Anyway, where companies manufacture their items is outside our control. We can do as best as we can to protect our security, privacy from what is within our control and is feasible or doable. :(

That prompts me to ask a question.

Is there any way in ASUS RT-AX92U or within its built in AIProtection Pro to block incoming / outgoing traffic to specific countries e.g. China, Russia etc ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!