What's new

Instant Guard "User Authentication Failed"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sonofdavidsfather

Occasional Visitor
I am on Android 11 with a OnePlus 7 Pro. My router is a AC86U running Merlin's 386.2_2. When I first started using Instant Guard I had a lot of issues. A couple weeks ago I did a full wipe on my router and phone, and that cleared up most of the issues I had with Instant Guard.

I am still occasionally having an issue when trying to use Instant Guard away from home. When I try to connect it just keeps showing the connecting animation, and if I swipe down the notification shows "User Authentication Failed" and a countdown to retry. It never prompts me to login. The only solution I have found is to wait until I am home and connected to my WiFi, remove my router from the Instant Guard app, and then set the connection back up through the Instant Guard app.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, or at least a way that I can login without having to wait until I am home and setting it back up?

You also need the Asus router app to set up Instant Guard. And a reliable DDNS setup or a static WAN IP address.

You also need the Asus router app to set up Instant Guard. And a reliable DDNS setup or a static WAN IP address.
I have the router app, but I don't use it too much. I used it to install Instant Guard the first time, and I let Instant Guard setup the DDNS through Asus.

I am on Android 11 with a OnePlus 7 Pro. My router is a AC86U running Merlin's 386.2_2. When I first started using Instant Guard I had a lot of issues. A couple weeks ago I did a full wipe on my router and phone, and that cleared up most of the issues I had with Instant Guard.

I am still occasionally having an issue when trying to use Instant Guard away from home. When I try to connect it just keeps showing the connecting animation, and if I swipe down the notification shows "User Authentication Failed" and a countdown to retry. It never prompts me to login. The only solution I have found is to wait until I am home and connected to my WiFi, remove my router from the Instant Guard app, and then set the connection back up through the Instant Guard app.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this, or at least a way that I can login without having to wait until I am home and setting it back up?
Hi,
I am an iPhone user, the other day at my daughter's place I run into a similar problem with connecting my iPhone using Instant Guard to my Router at my Home.

My WORKAROUND was to establish an alternative VPN connection using OpenVPN Connect that I have on my iPhone. Once connected, I run Instant Guard for it to do it's thing to setup the connection.

After that I disconnected OpenVPN and run only Instant Guard, it works :)