What's new

Instant Guard vs VPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
I noticed that Merlin now has an Instant Guard feature. From what I can tell, it sounds like a VPN Server. What are the pros and cons of using Instant Guard vs setting up a VPN Server and connecting with a OpenVPN client?

I noticed that Merlin now has an Instant Guard feature. From what I can tell, it sounds like a VPN Server. What are the pros and cons of using Instant Guard vs setting up a VPN Server and connecting with a OpenVPN client?

It creates a tunnel to the router using IPsec I believe. It seems that it still allows for clients ipv6 address to leak though. This can be observed on ipleak.net my device providers ipv6 address is show instead of the tunnel blocking the traffic like it does with the regular asus ipsec tunnel

Thanks, I read the whole thread. Just to recap it quickly for others.

Instant Guard is a new method that Asus uses to setup a IpSec VPN server. Its new so it sounds like it is still a little buggy based on comments. Some said it leaked IPv6 address traffic, it appears to turn on WAN Remote Accesss (there were posts that this was not needed after a release but some reported that this was still needed). Looks like it can be used for Android and IOS but not Windows (at least I didn't read anything posted about that).

Based on my reading of the thread, the Merlin implementation of OpenVPN appears to be more advanced than the Instant Guard IPSec implementation and is probably the way to go if your capable enough to set it up