1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Instructions to install Johns fork

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by OMNI619, Sep 22, 2018.

1. OMNI619

OMNI619 Regular Contributor

Hello I need help were I can get instructions on how to install Johns fork I'm doing it at this moment but it gave me a failed to update firmware RT-N66R /U I did a factory reset on on the latest 380.79 Merlin any help please thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v34e3.18914/
    Have a look at installation notes and use Asus restauration tool with factory reset before and after.

4. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Regular Contributor

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. loveleeyoungae

loveleeyoungae Regular Contributor

From my experience, the best method is to ssh into the router and use the mtd-write command.
    You can read more in this post of mine.

OMNI619 likes this.
  6. OMNI619

One more thing why does it take 30 minutes for the firmware to finish the update? I don't want to brick the router at this moment is the only one I have thanks

7. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Because most (all?) hardware versions of the RT-N66U have very slow flash memory. My N66U would take about 40 minutes.

OMNI619 likes this.
  8. RypeDub

RypeDub Regular Contributor

Were you able to downgrade so that you could install John's fork?

9. OMNI619

No I been dealing with this for hours do I have to downgrade in order to use John forks? I did a reset on Merlin 380.70 I attempted over the web GUI and asus restoration tools but I get failed to update firmware

RypeDub likes this.
  10. RypeDub

RypeDub Regular Contributor

Yeah, what I did was use the ASUS tool to downgrade to 374.43 stock, then you can use the GUI to install john9527's fork.

I have your exact router.

11. OMNI619

Ok thanks for the info I'm trying out today

12. loveleeyoungae

As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't trust Asus Tool for downgrading as they do not have a way to clear the nvram after flashing the firmware (i.e. your newly flashed firmware would have to boot once with the old nvram value).
    You'd better ssh into the router, upload all necessary files, clear nvram and then write the firmware to the linux partition.

13. M@rco

[email protected] Very Senior Member

I've had little to no issues using the recommended ways to recover, upgrade or downgrade firmware by using the WebUI or the Asus Restoration Tool. Nothing that couldn't be solved by a factory reset and a power cycle. The fact that you prefer mtd-write doesn't necessarily mean it's a fool proof method for less experienced forum members.

14. loveleeyoungae

I think the "YMMV" statement might be true here. I recently got an issue and Asus Tool could not do anything, so I had to cracked open the router to perform a serial flash (even though what all both methods do is basically tftp transloading, right?).
    And I honestly think the ssh method is not difficult (I don't consider myself as an advanced user either). However, I just suggested a method that I think that would be better for him to downgrade to john's fork per my experience. After all, if any other methods would work for him, that's still fine.

15. OMNI619

Were you got the the 374.version I can't find it anywhere

16. Grisu

Grisu Very Senior Member

17. OMNI619

18. OMNI619

I have flashed many router before DD-WRT. MERLIN TOMATO SHIBBI this is killing me

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!