What's new

Intel 4965AGN to 5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leslie

New Around Here
I recently did this upgrade on my SZ series Sony, and while it seems like a good speed increase, I'm also hearing static through the speakers (even when they are muted or disabled).

I tried swapping which leads went to which connection, I even tried using only 2 leads. Which I did manage to get the noise to stop removing a specific lead, but I also lost 40-60% of my signal strength.

From research (yes, I actually have looked around) I know for a dual band card like the 5300 you need a dual band antenna, but when looking up the 4965agn, I can't get a good source about this being dual band or not. After reading Intel's site I'm convinced it may not be, which could explain the noise.

Do I need different antennae, if so, can you recommend any to look for?
Will it harm anything running like this? I tried going back to the 4965 and I get a BSOD.

Thank you for the help.

Support of both .11a (5 GHz) and g (2.4 GHz) is a good indicator that a product is dual band.