What's new

Intel 7260 Dual Band Wifi chip and i7 Gen 1 CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I installed the new Intel 7260 AC dual band wifi chip in my laptop, a Sager NP5160 bought in May of 2011. It has windows 7 64 bit, an i7 Gen one cpu. I had a Intel 6300 Ultimate Centrino AGN N chip. The speeds with the 6300 chip are significantly faster, showing up to 42Mbs on speedtest. I have a TP Link Archer C7 V2 1750 router.

With the old 6300 chip it showed a theoretical speed of 360-405mbs, and with the new chip it shows 867mbs. But when I do a speedtest on the 7260 chip, I cant get past 12mbs.

I use the intel utility for drivers, and I have the latest drivers... I have played with several of the advanced settings using forums I read where people had similar issues, but no one has discussed the issue with i7 Gen one cpu chips. Is that an issue?

Or, what are the settings in advance setting for this chip supposed to be?

Check your part number - there are multiple versions of the 7260, and some of them are 2-stream 802.11n only...

In any event, the 7260 is really geared for the more recent intel chipsets - 3rd Gen Core architecture and later...

Check your part number - there are multiple versions of the 7260, and some of them are 2-stream 802.11n only...

In any event, the 7260 is really geared for the more recent intel chipsets - 3rd Gen Core architecture and later...
Mine is a dual band AC. Here is a picture

Weird... considering your numbers on the 6300 AGN card (42Mbps), and what you're seeing on the 7260 (12Mbps), it's like it's going to 2.4GHz with narrow channels...

Have you tried booting into safe-mode, uninstall the Intel driver kit, and then reboot and reinstall?

From past experience, Intel throws a lot of stuff into the registry, and perhaps blowing out the drivers, and forcing the HW redetect might solve it for you...

sfx

I think I found the culprit, user error. I had a few tabs, okay allot, open and apparently with Mozilla it has a tendency to reload during the speedtest test. I closed all tabs and did the test, and it runs around 58Mbs.

I think I found the culprit, user error. I had a few tabs, okay allot, open and apparently with Mozilla it has a tendency to reload during the speedtest test. I closed all tabs and did the test, and it runs around 58Mbs.

Sweet... tip your local barista 2x as penance :D

Glad you got it working Steve40th.

You may also want to try switching the antennae leads on the card itself (if you can) to see if you see further improvements too. Don't know why that works, but occasionally, it does.

I moved the antennas leads. No change. Its hitting 7MBps, or 59Mbps calculated. Cant complain, as it is much faster than before. Now I want more, LOL. A router that puts out stronger distance for me to go outside would be nice, and those Linksys AC1900/1200's look nice... Yep, judging the router by looks.

The Asus RT-AC68W (the white one) looks pretty nice too. As someone who has had that one, the Netgear R7000, and currently uses the Linksys WRT1900AC, I can say that the look of the WRT1900AC is actually telling you something.

It's a much sturdier, well-built device, IMO. The connectors for the dipole antennas are better made. It has a rocker switch for on-off instead of push button. It's sturdy and it's heavy.

On a side note,
Well, I installed new 7260 Wifi in wifes laptop, up from N2230 Intel chip. Installed fine, no problems. I did a speed test before with the N2230 chip, and with new Chip. Same speeds. 59Mbps.. Strange, I figured the AC chip would do better. This was on my wifes laptop, an HP less than year old newer CPU etc.
My Sager went from a best of around 30Mbps to 59Mbps. I am wondering why the new laptop didnt do better than with the N wifi chip.
The router cant be AC only, unfortunately. Maybe the TP Link Archer C7 V2, or Xfinity Boost is the limiting factor. Or, I am expecting too much from Wifi.

I pay for with boost to 50Mbps 30Mbps/ I just hooked up ethernet and the speed was the same, 50Mbps.

Last edited:
I moved the antennas leads. No change. Its hitting 7MBps, or 59Mbps calculated. Cant complain, as it is much faster than before. Now I want more, LOL. A router that puts out stronger distance for me to go outside would be nice, and those Linksys AC1900/1200's look nice... Yep, judging the router by looks.
On a side note. My local parts store(Memory express) sells two different batches of 7260(-ac). One costs few bucks more.
When I asked about it I was told that one has different f/w.

On a side note. My local parts store(Memory express) sells two different batches of 7260(-ac). One costs few bucks more.
When I asked about it I was told that one has different f/w.

IIRC one model has Bluetooth and the other does not. But I won't swear to that.