What's new

Intel SS4200-E Recovery Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sd1629

New Around Here
I've had an SS4200 for a long time with no issues. A few months ago I noticed that it was getting a little slow to read/respond, but it's become a backup of my backup, so didn't worry too much. But it has since completely died (power supply?).

I had 4 drives in it, running RAID, and did have some old archived data that (stupidly) wasn't backed up anywhere else. I have since acquired 2 more of these things off eBay, and have tried to just install my original 4 drives into them to no avail. The most recent one will power up, all lights are blue, but the center 'power' light is flashing...never goes solid. I tried booting with the reset button pressed...that didn't change anything. At one point (I think hitting the reset button while already on), the flashing blue power light turned solid orange.

I'm not particularly techy, so I'm not going to have the skills/software to do a lot of digging/troubleshooting here. But is there any other way to get those drives fired back up to retrieve data off them?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can't believe I didn't see this post until now. :( I hope it doesn't come too late.

Yes, there is a very easy way to recover your data if it's there. I pasting this from my notes from a thread that I found online and saved. This is what someone did to recover their unit:
I used the Fedora 30 Workstation download. Literally all I did was plug all the HD on and it immediately saw the RAID of
all 4 hard drives in the Disk Utility. Oh I did have to disable my RAID controller on the tower I was using though because it
was creating some kind of conict. So I couldn't just copy the data over in the same box since the HDs I had in the box
were disabled.. and I needed the power/SATA cables since I was running out of room lol. But in all I will say that if people
have the ability to get a blank HD, load Fedora and have enough slots/cables to mount all 4 HD to the same machine, they
are in a world of bliss seeing all their info still there

I used the 64-bit version and did actually install it on a blank hard drive I had laying around. Live boot rst from a
DVD then it prompted me to install on the blank HD.. erased all of it and installed and then after it updated, shut it
down, hooked up all the HD's from the NAS and restarted it back up with all the drives spinning and saw all the drives
in the disk utility and jumped with joy... lol
I hope this helps! Feel free to check out my thread on the ss4200-e here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/intel-ss4200-e-lives-again.56928/

If you still have all those extra ss4200-e units and want to give them a good home, get in touch with me. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!