What's new

Intel X550-T1 with Netgear MS510TX switch 10Gbe copper to Win 2012 R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TanyaC

Regular Contributor
I have a pair of Netgear MS510TX switches connected together with SFP+ transceivers.

I have a Windows 10 PC running an ASUS XG-C100C adapter and Windows 2012 R2 PC running the same adapter. They are connected to the 10G copper port on the respective MS510TX's

There are several issues with the XG-C100C.

1. On system startup the network is not detected for 7 seconds (Red X on NCSI). Then another 23 seconds for the network to be "available" (Yellow triangle on NCSI), compared to 2 seconds fully available on 1GB and 2.5GB motherboard NICs

2. Extremely erratic transfer speeds (Between 11MB/s and 900MB/s). Of course file size contributes to sustained speeds - I get that.

3. Adapter runs @ 45c on idle with 17c ambient and a 12cm fan blowing over it. Underload it quickly exceeds 70c.

4. ASUS support in Australia is non-existent and I'm planning on returning the adapters. I bought them because I got them for $143AUD each, compared to the X550-T1 which is $550 each. But it seems "going cheap" was a bad call.

CPUs are HEDT - so PCIe lane requirements are not an issue. 7800x, 7820x and 7900x.

All cabling is CAT6A LSZH.

Netgear will not recommend specific brand/model cards for the switches. It is "against their policies".

I plan on buying 1 to make sure it works. Then I will buy a second, and eventually a third.

The Intel website says if provides full Windows 10 support for the X550-T1.

So, is anyone aware of any issues? Any gotchas?

Hi TanyaC,
i have similar setup - switch MS510TX and adapter ASUS XG-C100C on Windows 7 SP1 PC and it is running perfectly fine on 10GBase-T port and also 2.5/5Gb ports.
My NAS is running Solaris 11.4 and Intel X540-T2 adapter.
I have absolutely no problems with connection, speed test using iperf to my NAS (connected to 10Gbase SFP+ with copper module) is about 95-98%
I use 40m cable CAT6 and another 5m CAT6 cable to connect both PC and NAS to the switch.
Initially when i bought the Asus card, i had troubles with connection stability, but it was because buggy drivers. If you update the driver, perhaps issue will be solved.
Btw, temperatures of the adapter should not be a problem, mine has 50°C in idle.
I use driver version 2.1.12.0

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!