What's new

Intercept port 53?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr. Boniato

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
Can devices be forced to use the DNS from the router?
I remember when I used to use Tomato, it had an option to intercept port 53, which prevented users from changing their devices DNS server and were forced to use whatever the router had.
1672268322598.png

But, I see this option in Asus...and according to what I am reading, when set to router, it will force the clients to use the DNS provided by the router, but I am still able to change the DNS on my PC bypassing the router's DNS.
Is there another setting I need to change?

I appreciate the help.

1672268432715.png

1672268399233.png

But, I see this option in Asus...and according to what I am reading, when set to router, it will force the clients to use the DNS provided by the router, but I am still able to change the DNS on my PC bypassing the router's DNS.
It works exactly the same way as Tomato. Changing the DNS on your PC won't stop the router intercepting it.

What is that setting for then?
It was my understanding that if I enable that feature, it will prevent devices from using their own DNS server because the router will force them to use the Router's own DNS server no matter what they set on their own devices.

is this not correct?

How are you determining that your PC's are bypassing DNS Director (formerly DNS Filter), assuming you have properly configured DNS Director by enabling the feature and selecting Global Redirection: Router? Are you using VPN either on the router or on the LAN clients?

I have set AdGuard as the DNS Server and it works great, but if I change the DNS server on my device to 8.8.8.8-8.8.4.4, the ads and adult sites are no longer blocked.
When I check nslookup it shows the google DNS instead of the Router's.

1672271701860.png

I guess the question I would ask is..
How can I force all traffic to only use the Router's DNS server, even if they try to use another DNS server?
Are you saying this is not possible in this firmware?

I have set AdGuard as the DNS Server and it works great, but if I change the DNS server on my device to 8.8.8.8-8.8.4.4, the ads and adult sites are no longer blocked.
But have you enabled DNS Director/DNS Filter and set Global Redirection to Router then hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page? If not, do it and report back if your LAN clients are bypassing the DNS Director/DNS Filter.

Another option, is to block specific DNS servers.
Block Google DNS on Asus

But have you enabled DNS Director/DNS Filter and set Global Redirection to Router then hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page? If not, do it and report back if your LAN clients are bypassing the DNS Director/DNS Filter.

Block Google DNS on Asus
Please see post #1. Is that the option you are referring to?
I have already selected Router as the Global Redirection thinking this feature was going to do what I need.

Block Google DNS on Asus

The problem alluded to above is that it is no longer sufficient to just block port 53. For example if you're using Chrome and set your PC to Google DNS it will switch to using "secure DNS" (DNS over HTTP / port 443) and therefore bypass the router's blocking attempts.

Untitled.png

When I check nslookup it shows the google DNS instead of the Router's.
nslookup will show the google DNS because it's unaware that the request is being redirected somewhere else by the router.

Last edited:
Please see post #1. Is that the option you are referring to?
Of course that feature page is called either DNS Filter or DNS Director, depending on which Asus-Merlin firmware one is running. That feature when configured as explained is supposed to (in very general terms) intercept LAN client DNS requests and route them to the DNS server used by the router. If that isn't happening, since you indicated you are running AdGuard, perhaps you need to double check you have Adguard configured properly if you are running Adguard as an add-on script. As a troubleshooting step manually configure the LAN DHCP DNS servers (for example set to Adguard's DNS servers used in the WAN DNS field) and see if the LAN clients that use hard coded DNS servers are being intercepted and routed to the router's LAN DNS servers.

Last edited: