What's new

Interesting reading: These Popular Wi-Fi Routers Are Security Nightmares

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mr Tvardovsky

Regular Contributor

As an average, unsophisticated user, I feel kinda concerned when reading this.

As an average, unsophisticated user, I feel kinda concerned when reading this.
"If you cannot change the situation, change your attitude towards it." Stanislav Jerzy Lec

I read that article yesterday. Another author flagging problems that have already been fixed.
The sky is falling syndrome.....

I mean, 99% of all routers would have an outdated Linux kernel, since the chip makers simply don't offer recent kernels and as their base software is used in 99% of all routers...
The problem actually starts at Broadcom, Mediatek, Qualcomm, Realtek etc. since they ship old, buggy software to their partners.
I remember when I was working at a router manufacturer how we had an issue and MTK said there was no issue. Once we finally located the issue, it took them another couple of months to fix it. I mean, it wasn't anything serious, just a small bug that caused the entire WiFi stack to crash...

In all fairness, the hardware makers should put more pressure on the chip guys to fix these things in a timely manner and then in turn should update their device firmwares regularly. This is why I'm grateful for all the work that Merlin and Voxel put in to the firmwares they support.

This again.....

This again.....

Yeah... it's easy to get scared when reading articles like that, especially when you're not experienced in the home-network security field, which I am not, and I'm guessing OP isn't either, but have it as a newfound hobby, and read as much about it as possible.

Articles like the one quoted in my post and OP post shows up very easy in search results, when searching for things like "safest router" etc. Those articles get posted on reddit, even here on snbforums (yes I know I'm also to blame for that) and the author of said article makes very logic sounding arguements with lots of examples to back up his claims.

Especially scary is that the author in my post even quotes thiggins, which makes it all the more real, believable and frightening. He has as of this writing, not updated the article flagging it as false statements or outdated, so sadly he keeps scaring home-network enthusiasts such as myself with false and outdated information.

Yeah... it's easy to get scared when reading articles like that, especially when you're not experienced in the home-network security field, which I am not, and I'm guessing OP isn't either, but have it as a newfound hobby, and read as much about it as possible.

Articles like the one quoted in my post and OP post shows up very easy in search results, when searching for things like "safest router" etc. Those articles get posted on reddit, even here on snbforums (yes I know I'm also to blame for that) and the author of said article makes very logic sounding arguements with lots of examples to back up his claims.

Especially scary is that the author in my post even quotes thiggins, which makes it all the more real, believable and frightening. He has as of this writing, not updated the article flagging it as false statements or outdated, so sadly he keeps scaring home-network enthusiasts such as myself with false and outdated information.
You have one of the latest routers, upgraded with one of the latest firmwares, you have skynet and aiprotect. Assuming you apply the same good housekeeping to your computers, you can sleep easy my friend.