What's new

Intermittent connection issue with RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dody.wijaya

Occasional Visitor
intermittent connection lost from RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1 & RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_2
when i start to upgrade to this firmware i got connection problem when do online gaming, several time got disconnected.
now i fall back to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4.trx => will report this after testing with the last known firmware in my router.
any body facing the same issue?

Yes I was using the same firmwares, but was having problems with my network camera.
My camera would intermittently disconnect from the network and be always trying to reconnect, so I too reverted back to 3.0.0.4_374.35_4 which has been the best merlin build for me to date.

Make sure you followed the required procedure: 1) factory default reset and manual reconfiguration after flashing, 2) deleting and reconfiguring the wireless profile on all connected clients.

When I did the factory default reset, I also did the 30-30-30 while holding down the wps button to clear the nvram.
When I manually input all the settings, the old settings would show up?? So does this mean the reset didn't take?

Thanks

For me 38_2 em was a issue ipv6 was unstable work one time and not others no disconnects though. Reverting back to 38_1 em solved my v6 issue. Other then that at least as of now no problems at all with 38_1 em. I do have say if i do have issues down the road its nice to know i can always count on 374_35_4sdk5 always worked very well on the n66 !!

For me 38_2 em was a issue ipv6 was unstable work one time and not others no disconnects though. Reverting back to 38_1 em solved my v6 issue. Other then that at least as of now no problems at all with 38_1 em. I do have say if i do have issues down the road its nice to know i can always count on 374_35_4sdk5 always worked very well on the n66 !!

Even worse here...I couldn't get IPv6 started on .38_1-em at all, and .38_2-em was hit or miss starting IPv6...however, am also finding that .35_4-sdk5 is very stable and consistently good starting IPv6. I'll be staying with this one.

intermittent connection lost from RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_1 & RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.38_2
when i start to upgrade to this firmware i got connection problem when do online gaming, several time got disconnected.
now i fall back to RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4.trx => will report this after testing with the last known firmware in my router.
any body facing the same issue?

After some usage I have to say, yes.
I received some complaints from the family.
The PlayStation3 seems to give a disconnect sometimes.
On my laptop WiFi stays connected but sometimes there flows no data.

This is only once or twice a week, not very often. :confused:
I didn't see this with sdk5 firmware.

I just leave it as it is and wait for a new Merlin version.

Make sure you followed the required procedure: 1) factory default reset and manual reconfiguration after flashing, 2) deleting and reconfiguring the wireless profile on all connected clients.

That's what I did, because I was on sdk5 before.

With 38_1em build as stated no disconnects so far. Devices i have hooked up to the router are as follows: 1 desktop, 2 laptops, 2 Iphones, 1 Ipad, 2 Galaxy tablets, 2 Roku 3 boxes. all seen stable but as noted only been using the 38_1 for 2 days will keep a close eye on it and report back if encounter issues. Wanted to add these devices are all hooked up wireless.

I just had my first 5GHz connection issue ever tonight on my N66U. All my devices connecting to the 5GHZ wifi disconnected and would not reconnect. I rebooted all devices and removed the SSID saved preferences on the devices. I had to go into the xxx.38_em1 settings and change the channel to "auto" then the devices would connect.

Interference from someone else's network maybe? Firmware glitch? Wireless mumo jumbo? :confused:

Even worse here...I couldn't get IPv6 started on .38_1-em at all, and .38_2-em was hit or miss starting IPv6...however, am also finding that .35_4-sdk5 is very stable and consistently good starting IPv6. I'll be staying with this one.

Got up this morning and low a behold ipv6 is not working again checking in the router UI it shows no v6 address so there is huge problem on the 38em builds. I'm reverting back to 374_35_4sdk5 I know that firmware works good. I really hope Merlin can fix this,if not this will be my last firmware for my n66. Also since Asus refuses to firewall v6 in its own firmware my next router purchase will be from another manufacture. It just seems like every time there is a new firmware it never works right one thing gets fixed while the other thing gets broke. I just don't have the time to keep messing with it. Just want a router that works.

I also do have intermittent connection problems.
Whenever i'm on PSN (Playstation Network) playing a game (PS3-Fifa14), after about one hour, the connection is lost for a small amount of time, but enough for ruining the game.
I have a ASUS RT-N66U with the 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 firmware. This is the very first version i tried, because i have the router since not too long (I also had the same problem with the ASUS stock firmware)
Hope this can be solved somehow because my son is getting very frustrated playing his online soccer games :)

Got up this morning and low a behold ipv6 is not working again checking in the router UI it shows no v6 address so there is huge problem on the 38em builds. I'm reverting back to 374_35_4sdk5 I know that firmware works good. I really hope Merlin can fix this,if not this will be my last firmware for my n66. Also since Asus refuses to firewall v6 in its own firmware my next router purchase will be from another manufacture. It just seems like every time there is a new firmware it never works right one thing gets fixed while the other thing gets broke. I just don't have the time to keep messing with it. Just want a router that works.

I have no way of testing IPv6, so it will be up to Asus to fix what was broken in their recent changes (probably when they implemented rdnssd).

Same here on an n66u running "3.0.0.4.374.38_2-em". Keep getting mini-disconnects. If I wanted to revert to 38_1, do I have to reset to defaults and set up again?

Same here on an n66u running "3.0.0.4.374.38_2-em". Keep getting mini-disconnects. If I wanted to revert to 38_1, do I have to reset to defaults and set up again?

There was no change related to wifi between 38_1 and 38_2.

There was no change related to wifi between 38_1 and 38_2.

I was having the problmes through a wired connection. Sorry for not clarifying that.

At the moment I am testing if, after reverting to "_1" the problem still persists.
I know the methodology is not the best (playing an entire match of LoL and see if there are mini DCs), but, before reverting I had 6 o 7 DCs in a 30 minute match. Now that I've gone back to 82_1, I had none. Well, except for a minor hiccup that could be attributed to my mom watching a video on her phone through wifi.

Will report after some more "testing".

Hi Merlin,
with 35_4 the issue is not happening.
Sure, i will do the upgrade again to 38_2
but before i upgrade
i will backup my dhcp list with this command
nvram get dhcp_staticlist => is that correct?

upgrade the firmware
do reset configuration.

the to restore
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="values_previously_saved
nvram commit

should i do other backup. to simplify the time to setup again everything.

Hi Merlin,

for the past 1 week test.
everything seems to be stable now.
the problem is not the firmware.
sorry for the mistake i made.
it was indeed the ISP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!