What's new

Intermittent Connectivity with latest firmware for ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

isoartoo

New Around Here
Hi everybody, I am new here and have run into some problems with my (2nd) ASUS RT-AC88U. First problem was I could not enable the 5.o Ghz radio. I tried everything and finally determined the radio was inop for that band. Replaced it with another and had only minor issues setting it up and it has been working flawlessly until a few days ago at which time my Logitech Transporter kept losing connectivity and my ROKU would buffer when watching Netflix, something it has NEVER done. Additionally, my iPads would sometimes show "no internet connectivity". Strange...

First I tried to load the Merlin firmware...here again I tried EVERYTHING and simply could not get it to load. Then I upgraded the latest firmware's (Dec 2018) signature to no avail. Then I reverted back to the SEP 2018 firmware also to no avail. Finally I tried the JUL 2018 software and that worked...no dropouts or connectivity issues. Additionally, my client list whereas the DEC firmware would top out at around 30 but SEP would be correct...SOMETIMES (sometimes it would show "0").

Just wondering if anybody else is having any or all of these issues? I really like the ASUS routers for all their power and customization but it seems that any firmware change they publish is hit or miss if you install it. And, as I am sure many of you know, forget about contacting Customer Support!!!

Anyway, if any of you have any insights into the above problems, please share them with me at your leisure.

Happy New Year!

Perhaps you should perform a reset to clear out any stray settings. It has worked for many of us when seemingly strange issues occurred that defied logic.

Thanks Greg for responding...I did try that and possibly every combination of Factory Reset, Firmware upload, manual config, etc. Nothing worked. So...after I posted the report, I tried installing one of two RT-AC86U I had previously used as AI Mesh with my RT-AC88U as Primary (but the "intelligent" switching was HORRIBLE so I converted them to AP's with Ethernet backhaul). WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!! Everything working perfect including all my WeMo switches, Transporter and Roku.

I'm sending it back for a refund. Will configure the other RT-AC86U as an AP over Ethernet for downstairs...I have to admit I am tempted to try the "new & improved AI Mesh" but I don't want to waste any mental energy on this anymore. Probably spent 24 hours total trying to solve this over the past 3 days!

So final questions to all you gurus: Is there a SIGNIFICANT reason I should load the ASUSAWRT-Merlin firmware over the stock ASUS if everything is operating smoothly?

Thanks again for your response.

Regards,

Jorge (isoartoo)

Thanks Greg for responding...I did try that and possibly every combination of Factory Reset, Firmware upload, manual config, etc. Nothing worked. So...after I posted the report, I tried installing one of two RT-AC86U I had previously used as AI Mesh with my RT-AC88U as Primary (but the "intelligent" switching was HORRIBLE so I converted them to AP's with Ethernet backhaul). WORKED FLAWLESSLY!!! Everything working perfect including all my WeMo switches, Transporter and Roku.

I'm sending it back for a refund. Will configure the other RT-AC86U as an AP over Ethernet for downstairs...I have to admit I am tempted to try the "new & improved AI Mesh" but I don't want to waste any mental energy on this anymore. Probably spent 24 hours total trying to solve this over the past 3 days!

So final questions to all you gurus: Is there a SIGNIFICANT reason I should load the ASUSAWRT-Merlin firmware over the stock ASUS if everything is operating smoothly?

Thanks again for your response.

Regards,

Jorge (isoartoo)

You can review Merlin firmware features here. And decide if you need it.

OE

I've been using Merlins firmware since my N66U many years ago. Now on the AC86U version 384.8.2. I like the fact that if I have a question I can ask the guy who wrote it and not deal with Asus support. But that's just me.

I've been using Merlins firmware since my N66U many years ago. Now on the AC86U version 384.8.2. I like the fact that if I have a question I can ask the guy who wrote it and not deal with Asus support. But that's just me.

I have not used Merlin, but you make an excellent observation.

OE

Once i had several issues with my AC-88u router and it could not be fixed with downgrading.

You may try the same, but it may not fix anything on your device.

My wireless problems which came with a firmware were finally fixed doing this:

- Saved all router-settings for security (backup)

- Wiped NVRAM (Full factory reset method)
(Updated HowTo from a user here)
"Telnet to your router"
1. Say if its using
192.168.1.1 for its address
2. Enable Telnet in router settings (administration -> system) and save
3. Use your telnet-client software. In Windows enable Telnet client service (Apps & Features -> Programs and features -> Activate or deactivate Windows features -> select Telnet client checkbox - OK)
4. Go to start/run type "
cmd" press enter
5. Type "
Telnet 192.168.1.1" press enter
6. The login is "
root" (if possible) or your "username" the password is whatever you set the password for the router.
7*. After login type mtd-erase2 nvram
8. Now type reboot
9. Wait about 4 minutes, the SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz will appear (ASUS_xyG).

(*ARM-based routers might use mtd-erase -d nvram instead of mtd-erase2 nvram)

pappl

This might be related... Brand new AC86U and updated the firmware to the latest Dec 2018 version.
It's been a connection nightmare, with DHCP failing to work, IPv6 vanishing, the client list being pretty much random in size. Stuck in the latest Merlin, also Dec 2018, but based on the previous Asus version. Stability is restored and the network is back to some semblance of normality.
I think some significant bugs have been introduced in the latest code.

This might be related... Brand new AC86U and updated the firmware to the latest Dec 2018 version.
It's been a connection nightmare, with DHCP failing to work, IPv6 vanishing, the client list being pretty much random in size. Stuck in the latest Merlin, also Dec 2018, but based on the previous Asus version. Stability is restored and the network is back to some semblance of normality.
I think some significant bugs have been introduced in the latest code.

Did you reset the firmware after you uploaded it?

Once weird things began happening, did you start over and upload again?

OE

All this happened to me as well, including the Client List was wildly inaccurate and sometimes just not any clients showing at all … so I rolled back to five firmware versions ago and progressively tested and updated firmware until I found the problem. The latest firmware is terrible. If you roll back to the previous version it should be stable again.

All this happened to me as well, including the Client List was wildly inaccurate and sometimes just not any clients showing at all … so I rolled back to five firmware versions ago and progressively tested and updated firmware until I found the problem. The latest firmware is terrible. If you roll back to the previous version it should be stable again.

After numerous attempts at a solution using different routers (even old basic ones) I finally determined the problem was the cable (coax) modem supplied by Charter (Spectrum) cable!!! It turns out they recently upgraded their service in my area and the modem that they supplied to me 6 years ago was the problem. The solution started going sideways when the first ASUS router I received did indeed have a problem with the 5GHZ radio (it was inop) and then the replacement ASUS routers' internet light was pink and only rarely (upon reboot) white. I could find no mention of what that meant in the manual or online though.

Plugged in the new modem and it worked great but I still had problems with the mesh routers dropping and switching connectivity and frequencies. So after doing some research and seeing this was an issue mostly everybody was having, I switched from wireless backhaul to wired and disabled the auto connectivity/switching of frequencies. Updated to the latest firmware and that solved my connectivity problems all around.

I am still noticing that the client list in the router's OS can vary wildly and is mostly inaccurate. Some of this is due to the fact that the mesh routers will sometimes capture a device as we move around the house (iPads, iPhones, etc.). Overall everything has been solved. The only issue I keep having is sometimes when I open a browser or an app on a portable device like my iPad, it will say I am not connected to the internet and then almost immediately connect. I have to figure this is due to the device switching to a different nearer router in the mesh network. It's a bit of a hassle but I can deal with it...

Thanks to everybody for your help. Here I was cursing ASUS routers and the problem was the modem all along except for that one router with the defective 5ghz radio.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!