What's new

Internal LAN speedtest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Draken

Occasional Visitor
Ex user of DDWRT so pardon my ignorance but is there an out of the box internal LAN/wifi speedtest between two AiMesh routers for Merlin.

Not interested in the speed to the external world as I am maxing that one. I just want to check to what speed I could upgrade my connection.

Ex user of DDWRT so pardon my ignorance but is there an out of the box internal LAN/wifi speedtest between two AiMesh routers for Merlin.

Not interested in the speed to the external world as I am maxing that one. I just want to check to what speed I could upgrade my connection.
Draken,
I use LAN Speed Test found here: https://totusoft.com/lanspeed
  • I run LAN Speed Test on my MacBookPro with Ethernet connection to one of my AiMesh Node (RT-AC86U),
  • I simply point to a folder on my Synology NAS connected to my main AiMesh Router (RT-AX88U)
  • Result as follows:
Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 17.39.11.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    263.1 KB · Views: 344
Draken,
I use LAN Speed Test found here: https://totusoft.com/lanspeed
  • I run LAN Speed Test on my MacBookPro with Ethernet connection to one of my AiMesh Node (RT-AC86U),
  • I simply point to a folder on my Synology NAS connected to my main AiMesh Router (RT-AX88U)
  • Result as follows:
View attachment 21567

Thanks. Tbh was trying to avoid installing additional software or mapping network drives :( In DDWRT it runs out of the box within the routers. Anyway will give it a try. Many thanks.

Not the easiest of ways to run a test I must admit.

As an example from the PC connected directly to the node I get:

290 Write, 332 Read on 1mb files
276 Write, 210 Read on 30mb files
250 Write, 235 Read on 300mb files
241 Write, 230 Read on 800mb files

I find it quite strange cause I get 250mbps on my internet connection. Also when I was running an AC88U with the same AC68U but in an AP configuration on DDWRT I was getting closer to 400-450mbps internally. Would AiMesh have such a hit on performance?

This is getting a bit annoying now.
I sent back my AC88U due to instability of the AiMesh network but I have exactly the same problem with the new AC86U.

Running since Saturday and already I had to restart 3 times cause it is losing the node. Also speeds are a bit bad as explained above.

I will switch to AP configuration when I find a few hours in case it solves some issues but I hope I wont have a problem with roaming devices from one AP to the other.

Only good implementation is the VPN which seems pretty stable.

I do miss my old DDWRT setup :(

If you want router to router testing, I would recommend that you install Entware and then the iperf3 package.

Run iperf3 in server and daemon mode on both routers:
/opt/bin/iperf3 -s -D

Then you can run iperf3 in client mode, pointing to each other.
/opt/bin/iperf3 -c 192.168.1.[whatever the address of the other router is]

Tbh honest with you I was expecting sth more out of the box than running custom commands.

Anyway after a lot of swearing I managed to setup my AC68U as repeater as AiMesh was unstable (I was disconnected twice only today). Lets see how it goes stability wise.

Also I need to check how good the roaming will be between the two networks as they are running under the same ssid (the 2.4 ones as the others are reserved for the routers to talk to each other).

I used LAN Speed Test to test any improvements along with a USB3.0 flash drive on the AC86U and I get around 400Mbps read speed which is an improvement but not yet ideal :(

edit: Also I am getting random disconnections once or twice per 4-5 hours which causes me to disconnect from Steam games and needless to say is extremely annoying.

Any suggestion? Back to DDWRT for the AC68U at least?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!