What's new

Internal Wireless Card Replacement Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dilvish

Occasional Visitor
I'd like to upgrade the old internal wireless adapter in a used notebook I recently got. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with notebook hardware, and my research still leaves me with several questions.

My notebook model is an ASUS A53U-ES21. The MB Ver is listed as K53U. I'm using an ASUS AC66 router if it matters.

The card has 2 wires attached, so I assume it has 2 antennae and I can use a 2x2 card?

I've seen the internal Intel 7260AC recommended for other notebooks. However, I've also read that it won't work with non-Intel systems. Since my notebook has an AMD Brazos dual core E450 CPU, I'm not sure if it will work?

Can anyone recommend compatible internal wireless AC cards?

I've removed the memory cover and it appears that I might be able to replace the wireless card through there without having to disassemble the laptop. Does anyone know if this is true?

Finally, how do you connect/disconnect the wires? Do they pull off? To the side? Vertically?

I have just replaced the crappy Intel 2230 WLAN card with an Intel 7260AC on my son's laptop.

I see no reason why the 7260AC will not work on an AMD system. Just make sure you grab the latest driver from the Intel website.

The 2 wires just pull off and then push back onto the new card. There was 1 little screw to undo and the card just popped out.

Very pleased with the 7260AC, got 450Mb/s doing some large file copy tests.

Last edited:
Proset Software or Driver only for Intel 7260AC

I ordered and installed an internal Intel 7260AC mini pcie card. The link speed is much faster, but so far it seems to jump around between ~500K and ~780K. I'm using the 5GHz band to an AC66 router. The distance between router and notebook is about 2 feet. The only other 5GHz usage is for my TV. According to Insidder, there is no other 5GHz usage in the area. This doesn't seem right to me.

I installed the latest Intel Bluetooth software and wifi driver. What does the Intel Proset software for the card do? Does it make the card faster or more stable?

Should I install the Intel Proset software or just the driver?

Are their specific settings I need to use on the card or router?

Thanks

Install the Proset software and keep your distance at least 10 feet or so for the beam to form properly.

Auto / defaults will work great at close distances like this.

Install the Proset software and keep your distance at least 10 feet or so for the beam to form properly.

Auto / defaults will work great at close distances like this.

I moved the router back to it's normal position (~10'-12') and installed all of the Proset software. The link speed doesn't seem to jump around, but I've only checked it a couple of times so far. Thanks.

Intel 7260AC "Wireless mode" setting

I'm using the free version of Inssider and it says my connection is 802.11n.

When I check the adapter settings of the Intel 7260AC, the "Wireless mode" has options for a, b, and g. None for n or ac. It's currently defaulting to a/b/g.

How should this be set to make an ac connection and get the fastest speed?

Edit: I found out that Intel doesn't use "n" or ac" terminology, at least for this card. They instead use various adapter settings.

Last edited:
Hi,
If you want to use inSSIDer to look into -AC mode, you need a version 4 which is not free.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!