What's new

Internet Access for the Router/Entware in "AP" mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloneman

Occasional Visitor
I'm debating between the official "AP" mode and the DIY mode, (disabling DHCP and NAT, making a LAN-LAN wired connection, leaving WAN port vacant).

After years of using AP mode I'm giving DIY mode a try, but I can't figure out how to give the router internet access for its internal use (e.g. entware apps). If the Wan port is disabled, is it possible for the router to have internet access?

Any comments on how "AP mode" really works are also welcome. The reason I'm doing down this path is "AP mode" hides a lot of the menu options (such as VPN) which I might want to try using somehow.

You will not be able to use Entware in AP mode. AP mode requires you to connect to the WAN port from a LAN port on a router or switch.

Last edited:
If I had a 2nd ISP I could do this easily, the problem is I can't set my WAN on the same IP subnet as my LAN the way I'd want to.

I figured it out!

Step 1
Set a static route to tell the router where to go (my Main router is 192.168.7.1)

I7dMq5x.png

Step 2
add dnsmasq custom configuration for a DNS server of your choice

cat /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
server=192.168.7.1

You will not be able to use Entware in AP mode.
Running Entware is not dependent on being in router mode so it can work in AP mode.

AP mode requires you to connect to the WAN port from a LAN port on a router or switch.
Not necessarily. In AP mode the WAN port becomes just another LAN port so any of the ports can be connected to the upstream router or switch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!