What's new

Internet disconnects wired or wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ravi134

New Around Here
Hi, I am seeing a weird problem. I am using wifi mesh using Nokia Beacon 1 (2 routers). I noticed internet drops intermittently and have to restart my Mac to bring back the network. Also this behavior is watched on my wifi devices as well (though it connects on its known). As work from home is still on, so I bought RJ45 to UBSC connector (my house has the Cat6 cabling). So now I connected with LAN but still similar issue is happening. Most weird part is - when even I am running speed test it disconnects. Eventually I have to swicth back to wifi.
What I did:
1) turning wifi off and useing only LAN
2) Removing LAN using only Wifi
3) kjeeping both on

but in all 3 cases, I dont see issue being fixed.
Router health is all good
Mac wifi troiubleshooter is also not showing any issues.

My connection is:
Wifi:
ONT -> Router1 1st -> Router 2 (on wifi) -> Macbook connected wirelessly
Wired:
ONT -> Router1 -> Macbook (wired) [Router 2 is also connecetd wirelessly as other devices using Router 2 wifi as well)

Appreciate your help on this.
Thanks
Ravi

Is the router connected to the ONT rebooting ?
What are the indicator lights on the first router doing during a loss ?
Is the loss random or does it occur at a constant interval ?
If you have access to the router logs, what do they show over the time period ? Is there any indication of drop of WAN connection ?
What do the RJ45 port lights do during an outage ?

Swap the two Nokias - does anything change ?
Replace the cable from the ONT to the first router with a known good cable. Does anything change ?
Is the ONT and the first router plugged into a UPS ?

What do the ISP logs say for your node ? Hve you talked with them ?

Thanks for quick reply. Here is my response

Is the router connected to the ONT rebooting ? YES
What are the indicator lights on the first router doing during a loss ? Always green
Is the loss random or does it occur at a constant interval ? It’s totally random
If you have access to the router logs, what do they show over the time period ? Is there any indication of drop of WAN connection ? I don’t have access to the logs, I will try to search and look on this.
What do the RJ45 port lights do during an outage ? RJ45 always blinking

Swap the two Nokias - does anything change ? I will try this one as well
Replace the cable from the ONT to the first router with a known good cable. Does anything change ? I think you are suggesting to debug the faulty cable but the disconnects are happening even on WiFi when cable is not plugged in.
Is the ONT and the first router plugged into a UPS ? No, both ONT and routers are connected to AC power supply

What do the ISP logs say for your node ? Hve you talked with them ? I have not asked ISP as I am sure they won’t entertain by saying it’s a router issue.

Thanks for quick reply. Here is my response

Is the router connected to the ONT rebooting ? YES
suspect power at outlet, power supply cube, cable between power cube and first router, faulty router config, or faulty router hardware.

How old is the system ?

disconnect everything connected to the first router except power. turn off the other router. Does the router keep rebooting ?
If yes, either a misconfigured router or bad power supply (any of the above power issues) or faulty router hardware.
if the other router doesn't have an issue, take the power supply cube and cable and use that for the first router. Run the test again. What happens ?

Swap the routers and retest. Does the rebooting follow the router or the power supply equipment ?

What are the indicator lights on the first router doing during a loss ? Always green
Is the loss random or does it occur at a constant interval ? It’s totally random
If you have access to the router logs, what do they show over the time period ? Is there any indication of drop of WAN connection ? I don’t have access to the logs, I will try to search and look on this.
What do the RJ45 port lights do during an outage ? RJ45 always blinking

Swap the two Nokias - does anything change ? I will try this one as well
Replace the cable from the ONT to the first router with a known good cable. Does anything change ? I think you are suggesting to debug the faulty cable but the disconnects are happening even on WiFi when cable is not plugged in.

the cable between the first router and the ONT not the one connected to the PC or anything else.

Is the ONT and the first router plugged into a UPS ? No, both ONT and routers are connected to AC power supply

What do the ISP logs say for your node ? Hve you talked with them ? I have not asked ISP as I am sure they won’t entertain by saying it’s a router issue.

Both NOKIA routers are 1 yr old but it was never opened, so I opened them just one week back.

I did the following today:
1) Router 1 - remove all connections
2) Router 2 - Off
3) Only power for router 1 and watched
Outcome- There was no rebooting on router 1, it stayed with Red light on - meaning there is no internet connection

Then I switched both the router, I also reset the both the router to factory default settings. I am monitoring it and will post the outcome.

Curious to know - How the LAN cable and WiFi behaves when both are on. So I have seen this pattern:
1) When LAN cable is connected with Router 1
2) Wifi Connected with Router 2 (I assume as my studu is closer to router 2 but the LAN point is from Router 1
3) In Macbook - it clearly shows that LAN is having higher precedence
4) But when i run speedtest, most of the time internet is down and its not only for my Macbook but other devices also

This disconnects is very similar to to my intermittent disconnects of my WiFi on LAN disconnects.

Hi,

For last few days the network was fine as i did the following:
1) Reset both the routers and swapped
2) Change the power plug (as thought may be thats faulty)

But today again the network went fine, and LAN disconnected but wifi worked and in the Network the status of LAN is "<network name> has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet."