What's new

Internet Filter for Different level for different user

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Melvin Thant

New Around Here
Somebody please help. I want to make internet filter at my small office for different level for different user (Different IP address).
I have D Link DI-704UP (Broad Band Router), which has a internet filter function. It can filter (Block) internet by URL address/Domain name/IP addres/MAC address. But it blocks the all user (All IP), same level. (Can not choose, for e.g. I want to give all internet access to Managing Director, and only yahoo to the Managers. DI-704UP cant do like this)
Please advise me, what is the correct Hard ware, (or) software to do what I want to do.
Thanks to all.

Most other routers can do what you're wanting to do. I know the Linksys WRT54G's can do internet access policies based on IP addresses, as can most other Linksys routers. I've played a bit with the d-link DIR-655 and it should be able to do it as well. Most other consumer level routers should be able to do this for you a little better. It's surprising that yours doesn't - because most routers that offer filtering can at least do it by IP address or range.

Thank you for the guidence, Scotty, I have check the DIR-655 manual, it has got the extra function called POLICY, u can make "policy 1' for IP address A,B,C, to block certain web site, and "policy 2" for IP address X,Y,Z, to allow free internet access. But the Di-704, does not have that function.