What's new

Internet goes slow, only restart helps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dzin

New Around Here
Hello Merlin forum! I'm using ASUS RT-AC66U (box says H/W version: b0) and Merlin WF 380.64_2 (last release atm).

I'm having this issue for about 2 months. Every 1-4 days my internet speed goes from ~96 mbits/s to ~8 mbits/s, every website opens super slowly. The router log shows this http://i.imgur.com/uVyO0Sw.jpg super long spam, i believe this is somehow connected to my issue (when my internet is fine, there is no spam in the log). After restarting my router, internet speed goes back to normal and this spam stops in the log.

Any help? I'll provide any necessary info.

UPD: i searched this forum and found a guy asking about the same log spam, the answer for him was, since his MAC address was from WD-cloud storage, to reboot his WD device and spam disappeared. I too have a WD-cloud device but i'm not sure how to check if this is it's MAC address. Trying to restart my WD device, hope this helps, but still, i'm not sure that log spam and super slow internet every ~4 days is connected.

Last edited:
I remember that case.....it happened after his WDCloud storage was pushed a firmware update.
I looked at your post, and the spam you are getting is indeed referring to a mac address owned by WD.

I remember that case.....it happened after his WDCloud storage was pushed a firmware update.
I looked at your post, and the spam you are getting is indeed referring to a mac address owned by WD.
I restarted my WDcloud and spam disappeared, i'll update this thread in a couple of days letting you know if everything is fine. Thanks for the WD info!

UPD: so the WDcloud wasn't the problem, after 2 days of stable internet, this started again, i'm uploading my log file before restarting. I hope i can find help here, this problem is incredibly annoying.

LOG file: http://pastebin.com/8KV4NSbP

right after rebooting my router, internet goes back to normal, this span repeats every ~2-4 days...

Try replacing the ethernet cable between your modem and router. The link is going periodically going down. Use a good quality cat5e or cat6 cable.

Try replacing the ethernet cable between your modem and router. The link is going periodically going down. Use a good quality cat5e or cat6 cable.
What do you mean by "between modem and router"? I have my ISP's cable plugged directly into my router and both my pcs plugged directly into this router.

Sorry, I do not know too much about Apple product, but is it normal that the iPhone ANNA have so many logs?
If only i knew... I never checked my log since everything worked fine before but now this problem started and i have to check my logs and there is so much things happening...

Does it connect via DHCP or through PPPoE? As mentioned before, if you can replace the ethernet cable between the fiber box and your router, try that.

Yes, at my place (Russia) we commonly use optical fiber cable provided directly by our ISP, no modems or anything except router.
There is still a converter somewhere that takes the fiber and converts it to ethernet. That ethernet is what looks like it is having intermittent problems. Can you trace back the cable that plugs into the router WAN port to its source?

Does it connect via DHCP or through PPPoE? As mentioned before, if you can replace the ethernet cable between the fiber box and your router, try that.
There is still a converter somewhere that takes the fiber and converts it to ethernet. That ethernet is what looks like it is having intermittent problems. Can you trace back the cable that plugs into the router WAN port to its source?
Via DHCP. The fiber box is at the top of the building (9 floors) and i believe i don't have access to that part, only if i call my ISP and invite somebody i guess...I wrote a message to my ISP, maybe we'll figure something out.

But is there really nothing on my side that can cause this problem, other than old/damaged cable?

Via DHCP. The fiber box is at the top of the building (9 floors) and i believe i don't have access to that part, only if i call my ISP and invite somebody i guess...I wrote a message to my ISP, maybe we'll figure something out.

But is there really nothing on my side that can cause this problem, other than old/damaged cable?

It's the first step to seeing what's wrong.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!