What's new

Internet Slowdowns?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I was in my auto parts yesterday with a dead car battery. I was lucky it was under warranty by 2 days and we were all keeping social distancing in tack. As I was waiting for my free new battery everybody was complaining of slow internet. I have heard this from friends also as we were social distancing out in the yard.

I have not seen any slowdowns. I stream HD just the same and Wi-Fi calls. My web pages all seem the same. My wife is doing Zoom and facetime much more now with all her hobbies having to go online since there are no meeting.

So my question is the slowdown more based on individuals consumer routers being loaded down than real internet problems? Is Spectrum having issues? I don't see it.

What do you think? I know there are more people online than ever before but are the major ISP's not able to deliver?

I think that is the big ISP's dealing with the load. Yes it is higher. I still think it could be the average old consumer router is not capable of dealing with multiple video streams.

We on this forum probably have better systems than the average joe out there.

Last edited:
The last figures I saw for the UK (last week) indicated similar patterns. There had been a noticeable increase in traffic during the day but it was still below that of the "normal" evening traffic... and significantly less that what is seen when there's a major sporting event.

It depends on the ISP, for example, in my area, verizon fios has had no slowdown at all, (still get the advertised speed even during peak usage hours), while my neighbor on spectrum gets around 50-60Mbps on a 200mbit package during the evening. Not sure why cable providers seem to be having issues like this, especially since their base packages offer higher advertised speeds than fios for the same price.

Aside from that, if someone is relying on LTE for internet, then they are in for a bad experience. where in my area of NYC, t-mobile, and Verizon wireless are down to around 800kbit/s to 1Mbit/s download, and around 50Mbps upload.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!