What's new

Internet Speed Drops by 60% when Computer Connected to RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DRepke

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC87R Router. I just changed my ISP Account from Time-Warner to Spectrum Cable to take advantage of Spectrum's 200Mbps internet download speed. With my Time-Warner account I was paying for 25Mbps (and actually getting 29Mbps). Going to a Spectrum account decreased my total cable bill by about $30/month while increasing my internet speed to 200Mbps.​
With a new Arris modem connected (free from Spectrum), a direct ethernet connection from my desktop computer to the modem produced a download speed of about 235Mbps. However, connecting my computer to the router either directly or through a gigabit switch (even if it was ONLY device connected) only produced a download speed of about 95Mbps.​
The WAN port on my ASUS RT-AC87R router is "supposedly" rated at 1Gbps but
the System Status screen in my ASUS settings app shows that the "Link State" of the WAN Port is currently 100Mbps (NOT 1Gbps). I "assume" that this is what's causing my drop in internet speed (or is there more to it than this). Why is it only connecting at 100Mbps and how do I get it to connect at 1Gbps? Or what else can I do to get my full 200+Mbps internet speed?​
Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.​

the System Status screen in my ASUS settings app shows that the "Link State" of the WAN Port is currently 100Mbps (NOT 1Gbps).
did you try a different cable?
or bad contact pins on a port, look inside if all 8 pins are parallel up.
try a different port

100Mb/s need only 4 of 8 pins used for 1GB-link.

Last edited:
I have an ASUS RT-AC87R Router. I just changed my ISP Account from Time-Warner to Spectrum Cable to take advantage of Spectrum's 200Mbps internet download speed. With my Time-Warner account I was paying for 25Mbps (and actually getting 29Mbps). Going to a Spectrum account decreased my total cable bill by about $30/month while increasing my internet speed to 200Mbps.

With a new Arris modem connected (free from Spectrum), a direct ethernet connection from my desktop computer to the modem produced a download speed of about 235Mbps. However, connecting my computer to the router either directly or through a gigabit switch (even if it was ONLY device connected) only produced a download speed of about 95Mbps.

the System Status screen in my ASUS settings app shows that the "Link State" of the WAN Port is currently 100Mbps (NOT 1Gbps). I "assume" that this is what's causing my drop in internet speed (or is there more to it than this). Why is it only connecting at 100Mbps and how do I get it to connect at 1Gbps? Or what else can I do to get my full 200+Mbps internet speed?

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
May need to put the modem Mac address in the router clone box and hit apply.

did you try a different cable?
or bad contact pins on a port, look inside if all 8 pins are parallel up.
try a different port

100Mb/s need only 4 of 8 pins used for 1GB-link.

The problem wasn't the cable but... As soon as I read your response, I remembered that the ethernet cable from my modem is plugged into a surge-protected ethernet port on my UPS and then from the UPS to the router. Apparently (and not surprisingly), the ethernet ports on the UPS must be rated at only 100 Mbps. When I connected the Cat 6 cable directly from the cable modem to the router, my download/upload speeds jumped to 237/12.5 Mbps which is exactly what I expected.

I can't believe all of the time I wasted trying to resolve this issue. The cable connection through the UPS just didn't dawn on me until you mentioned the "cable".

Thank you very much for the quick (and accurate) response.

The problem wasn't the cable but... As soon as I read your response, I remembered that the ethernet cable from my modem is plugged into a surge-protected ethernet port on my UPS and then from the UPS to the router. Apparently (and not surprisingly), the ethernet ports on the UPS must be rated at only 100 Mbps. When I connected the Cat 6 cable directly from the cable modem to the router, my download/upload speeds jumped to 237/12.5 Mbps which is exactly what I expected.

I can't believe all of the time I wasted trying to resolve this issue. The cable connection through the UPS just didn't dawn on me until you mentioned the "cable".

Thank you very much for the quick (and accurate) response.

If you wan't surge protection on your Ethernet try the device linked below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FY7GMEW/?tag=snbforums-20

It works for me and I used it when I had gig service from Comcast. I have it on the link between my modem and the router. It is mounted indoors.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!