What's new

iOS browsers crashing from webui changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlstyley

Occasional Visitor
Read some passing comments about this issue, but no threads specifically about it.

Starting about 380.64, I can't admin my rt-n66u from my iPad because it crashes the browser regularly. First time it happened I just figured it needed a reboot. I have several computers I can use if I really need to connect, but it's much more convenient sometimes to use an iOS device. To be clear, I can always get to the login page, but after logging in, all bets are off in terms of stability.

Things I've tried:
- rebooting the router. No effect.
- rebooting the device. No effect.
- updating firmware. Latest was 380.64_2. No effect.
- clearing all browsing data (cache) in safari. This sometimes lets me get logged in, but will crash in fairly short order. Also, the widget in the right rail is always a white hole in the page. Maybe that has something to do with it?
- Chrome. This let me connect and see the entire status page, but after a couple of clicks (taps), it crashes. Sometimes the menu is missing. Sometimes only part of the page is visible.
- Firefox. This let me connect as well, but then the screen usually goes gray and I can't see anything.

This used to work very reliably. I could do anything from iOS that I could do from a desktop browser (even update firmware - I know it's not recommended, but it worked). Not sure exactly when this started (thinking 380.64), or why it's every browser on my iOS devices (do they all use the same web page rendering under the hood?)

Any suggestions on workarounds or how I can gather more info to troubleshoot?

Thanks for any help

Sounds the same as the MacOS Safari issue. There are 2 threads on that.
Likely common code between iOS and MacOS Safari.
Likely a Safari issue, but it would be nice if ASUS/Merlin fixed it on the router side as Apple will be a lot slower...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could this problem have coincided with an iOS update, eg to 10.2?

You've tried it only with one Apple device?

Last edited:
Sounds the same as the MacOS Safari issue. There are 2 threads on that.
Likely common code between iOS and MacOS Safari.
Likely a Safari issue, but it would be nice if ASUS/Merlin fixed it on the router side as Apple will be a lot slower...

It works fine when connected from macOS 10.11.6 and Safari 10.0.2 (latest Safari on El Capitan) as this is how I have been administering since iOS stopped working. Will test Sierra shortly and report back.

It works fine when connected from macOS 10.11.6 and Safari 10.0.2 (latest Safari on El Capitan) as this is how I have been administering since iOS stopped working. Will test Sierra shortly and report back.

Also appears to be fine from macOS 10.12.2 and Safari 10.0.2 (latest Safari on Sierra). I didn't beat it to death, but drove it around for a few minutes and it was stable. In contrast, from iOS devices I can barely get one screen to load, maybe 2 before the browser crashes.

Could this problem have coincided with an iOS update, eg to 10.2?

You've tried it only with one Apple device?

It's possible it started with 10.2 since I can't pinpoint exactly when it started.

I've tested with two different iOS devices. iPad and iPhone, both running iOS 10.2. Crashes Safari and Chrome on both devices. Crashes Firefox on iPad, but have not tested on iPhone. Can do so if that is helpful.

Thanks. Read through those, but my issue seems a little different. I am not seeing crashes in Safari from macOS at all, but I am seeing it in 3 different browsers on iOS. Could certainly be the same issue, just manifesting itself in unpredictable ways. But for me it is totally unusable from iOS using 3 different browsers.

I also have this iOS issue (just tried it on Safari/Firefox/Chrome on iOS 10.2). It seems similar/the same as the issue I see on MacOS.
There's some infinite loop of data being downloaded to the browser. It crashes the iOS browsers quickly as there are less resources, on MacOS it takes as long as it take to fill the remaining space on your HDD before it crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth (ie bugger all), I'm on iOS 10.2 on my iPhone but still on Meelin 378.55 on my RT-AC68U and do NOT have the problem you have encountered.

can confirm, iphone6 ios10.2. tried both opera and brave browsers as well and I get the login page but can't login. Same applies to brave's desktop browser, btw...I've mentioned it to devs in their community forum

UPDATE: same applies with iOS 10.2.1...I should also mention Merlin 380.64-2 and n66u

Last edited:
I do Not have these issues on my IOS devices(iPhone/iPad). IPad is on 10.2 and iPhone on 10.2.1. Asuswrt version is 380.64_2. I have the "Authentication Method" setting under Administration->System set to "BOTH". I also have "Redirect webui access to router.asus.com" set to "No". Maybe check those settings to see if they are the same as mine. Try logging into the router by going to the GUI using the IP address instead of going to router.asus.com.

So iOS 10.2.1 was released today. It does seem to change the behavior somewhat in Safari, but doesn't completely resolve the problem for me. Now I can get much farther into using the webgui, but it still ultimately crashes after multiple page loads. Once it starts, it crashes repeatedly until I kill Safari and restart it.

There's some infinite loop of data being downloaded to the browser. It crashes the iOS browsers quickly as there are less resources, on MacOS it takes as long as it take to fill the remaining space on your HDD before it crashes.

What are you seeing regarding an infinite loop of data? I'm not really seeing anything to indicate that.

Clearly this an Apple bug (anytime you can send something to a browser and crash the browser, it is a bug in the browser), but I have no idea how to send a bug report for something like this ("Hi Apple - please login to my router to see this safari bug...").

I do Not have these issues on my IOS devices(iPhone/iPad). IPad is on 10.2 and iPhone on 10.2.1. Asuswrt version is 380.64_2. I have the "Authentication Method" setting under Administration->System set to "BOTH". I also have "Redirect webui access to router.asus.com" set to "No". Maybe check those settings to see if they are the same as mine. Try logging into the router by going to the GUI using the IP address instead of going to router.asus.com.

Not using a hostname, using an IP. However I just figured out this problem only shows up with HTTPS. I have a hunch that this has something to do with the self-signed certificate. Just a hunch though...

Problem seems totally fixed with just straight HTTP.

Not sure exactly what causes it, but I had different but similar issues with https on. If you want https on, then try logging in with the ip and :8443 afterwards. Ex. 192.168.1.1:8443. Doing that fixed the slow loading pages or not loading at all issue for me.

Not sure exactly what causes it, but I had different but similar issues with https on. If you want https on, then try logging in with the ip and :8443 afterwards. Ex. 192.168.1.1:8443. Doing that fixed the slow loading pages or not loading at all issue for me.

That's what I'm using. It's not just slow to load, these are actual browser crashes. Well, technically I think they are WebKit crashes, so iOS components common within the various browsers crash and the browser reports it as such "a problem occurred..." (Safari), or "Aw, snap..." (Google) etc.

That's what I'm using. It's not just slow to load, these are actual browser crashes. Well, technically I think they are WebKit crashes, so iOS components common within the various browsers crash and the browser reports it as such "a problem occurred..." (Safari), or "Aw, snap..." (Google) etc.

Interesting. I'm not having Safari crash with the settings that I described above.

Yeah, even when you Trust the certificate set it still goes nuts. It seems to be related to the pages that have the graphing controls on them because all of the pages that don't have those controls on them load correctly (at least for me) if you can get to them before Safari crashes. Had the iPhone attached to my Mac to see if I could track down where the problem is and the update_networkmapd.asp is where it seems to freak right out at least on the network map page. The size downloaded bloats to hundreds of MBs of data in a short while and than Safari crashes.

Doesn't seem like it's correctly doing the replaces on the < and > characters based on the following:
Code:
fromNetworkmapd = '<0>>192.168.2.151>E4:CE:8F:6E:95:60>0>0>0><0>RT-AC87U>192.168.2.1>08:62:66:90:6F:D8>1>0>0><0>WORK-MBP>192.168.2.150>3C:15:C2:D4:40:8A>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.170>44:61:32:EE:61:51>0>0>0><0>RT-AC87U>192.168.2.1>08:62:66:90:6F:D8>1>1>0><1>WORK-W520>192.168.2.117>F0:DE:F1:73:A0:B0>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.120>E4:CE:8F:6E:95:60>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.121>00:1D:73:19:CC:52>1>0>1><0>WN3>192.168.2.124>00:16:6C:85:93:4D>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.153>84:89:AD:38:B5:89>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.120>98:D6:BB:21:F3:39>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.156>28:5A:EB:C7:65:B0>0>0>0><0>>192.168.2.135>98:E0:D9:6E:23:14>0>0>0><0> none >192.168.2.122>E8:5B:5B:45:B9:AE>0>0>0>'.replace(/>/g, ">").replace(/</g, "<").split('<');

Some screen grabs from the phone before the crashes:
39xHTKhmTyD2.png

39xHmgs5DjKS.png

One more screen capture from being connected to the iPhone but this time browsing the RT-N66U in HTTPS.
39xKbqRImGcT.png