What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuskyHerder

Last edited:
Hey, great job decoding my (sparse) description!

Each Radio uses a different BSSID so you can identify the access point and if you are 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz

So I use this shortcut to verify which access point my device has connected to and what radio, this is helpful to identify where devices drop off one AP and switch to another, if I have 5Ghz dead spots, etc.

No, before someone says something, not everything in the dictionary shown is on at the same time, or even in the same house...

Attachments

• dictionary.png
    dictionary.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 592
BSSID

So, I was trolling around the forums and found a post by another user where he created a connected BSSID look up tool. I set out to bring it to life for myself. I thought, I would share my version.
Any creative credit goes to @ourcontact for the BSSID shortcut. I simply built on his description, for my own use.

Notes:
1. BSSID only displayed, no defined name ? Check the AP's MAC address.
2. Manually enter your AP/Node MAC addresses in the define section, and a friendly name.
3. WiFi MAC address needs to be used.
4. Error about could not define? .....

a. You have likely moved the "Dictionary" portion this happened to me a lot while trying to edit the entries. To fix it, move the "Dictionary" section back to the location in the screen shots.
5. To add AP's simply use the "+" and choose text entry.

Tested: 2 nodes, 2 AP's, 3 router bands, & 2 guest wifi.

v.9

Initial version.
No longer
available, replaced by a better version.

v 1.0
More tweaks, specifically to the dictionary list, added a null MAC id, with a value of disconnected. Instead of getting those nags/warnings of couldn't get dictionary...Shortcut now says "disconnected" and no nags/warnings. ;)
* MAC must be in lower case. thanks @LimJK
* Report of leading "0" being stripped out by the dictionary match. @tannebil

IMG_416C9D6C395C-1.png IMG_690D3062FEED-1.jpeg IMG_1B82474AB769-1.jpeg IMG_C1B83FEFC577-1.png IMG_0BDE926DA949-1.jpeg

Last edited:
I made a few more tweaks, and specifically to the dictionary list, That was to add a null MAC id, with a value of disconnected. So instead of getting those nags/warnings of couldn't get dictionary...

Now the workflow says disconnected etc. and especially with no nags/warnings. ;)
HuskyHerder,
Thank you, I normally use WiFiAnalyser where I need to remember a part of each of my the BSSID ... I got 7 to remember:(
I just tried what your shared, Like it :) don't have to remember my BSSID(s) now.
However, I found that the Mac Addresses in the Dictionary need to be in "lower case" for the Hex number, for it to work
Thanks.

I changed the name of the topic for anyone following along. One of the new shortcuts, I have been working on is similar but different enough to warrant making the name broader in scope.

Restart

Restart your Router/AP/Node by choosing it from a list set by you.

Requires :
1. SSH enabled, please use LAN only: We don't want to get into the discussion opening it up to the WAN. Use a VPN if you need access.
2. "Allow Password Login" in the admin preferences.
3. Static IP's for AP's/Node's either in GUI or via DHCP reservation.

Notes:
1. ssh key passphrase, seems doable.

2. *Password and user name are stored in the shortcut as part of the iOS keychain. * I was prompted to save my details.
* Although, I have not tested it, you should be able to put the variable "Ask when run" in the user and password field, for manual entry each time the shortcut is ran.

Edit : Works perfectly with "Ask when run" variable set

3. Works on MERLIN and Stock. AFICT.
4. Exact Spelling is important across the dictionary and the list or you will get a mismatch and an error running the workflow. Watch out for trailing spaces in the dictionary and or the list.

* It may be possible to restart the wireless system.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/start-stop-guest-wifi-ssh.17636/#post-123770
I have not tested it nor have I used it. Usually, if I am having issues a simple restart of the entire AP is warranted IMO.

IMG_0574.png IMG_0575.png IMG_0576.jpeg IMG_0578.jpeg IMG_0580.jpeg

Last edited:
A leading zero in a BSSID octet gets stripped so you have to account for that in the dictionary. Not sure about trailing one.

Very handy shortcut since my four Plume pods results in ten BSSIDs. Thanks!

@tannebil

Hmm, not sure how to handle that, if you found a way, Ill add it to the notes above etc. Kinda hard for me as I have nothing to test it on, with a leading zero.

Edit. Unless you are just amending your dictionary to exclude the Zero, which is what I think you are doing. Still weird behavior on the comparison part of the app.

Edit 2 : Ill try a few tests tomorrow.

Last edited:
@tannebil

Hmm, not sure how to handle that, if you found a way, Ill add it to the notes above etc. Kinda hard for me as I have nothing to test it on, with a leading zero.

Edit. Unless you are just amending your dictionary to exclude the Zero, which is what I think you are doing. Still weird behavior on the comparison part of the app.

Edit 2 : Ill try a few tests tomorrow.

Leading zero does get stripped. Trailing zero does not.

When you all, run the shortcut does the initial call get the BSSID, & return the appropriate BSSID ? Or is it stripping the zero, during the comparison phase ?

Last edited:
It appears to strip the zero when getting the BSSID. Showing result of variable 'BSSID' prior to comparing to the dictionary yields the stripped leading zero(es).

It appears to strip the zero when getting the BSSID. Showing result of variable 'BSSID' prior to comparing to the dictionary yields the stripped leading zero(es).

@citrixscu @tannebil

Thanks, at this point, looks like my only option is to file a bug report with Apple.

At least for the time being it appears a work around is possible. * Manually making your defined BSSID's match, the actual returned value.

I am writing up a bug report, as I cant do nothing to solve this without Apples help.

When the BSSID is returned is the syntax you see "1:23:45:67:89", where it would have been 01:23:45:67:89 ? * Note, in my example it ends at 9, obviously the real BSSID could/would be longer.

I want to annotate the report correctly, which makes it a much better chance of getting fixed. Would either of you be willing to PM a few diagnostic reports to attach to the bug report ? I can send it without the reports, if needed. Its seems very easy to replicate.

If so I'll send you instruction on how to gather the reports.

edit:

Filed report without files. If you wish to do so you can submit them, and reference the initial report, or I could still attach them. The choice is yours.

Regards,

Apple Bug reporter ID # 46207219

Last edited:

Checked and I too had a leading zero that was stripped, I never noticed as I used the shortcut itself when I built the dictionary and just copied and pasted from the results when I hit one that was unidentified and added it to the dictionary without looking closely.

@ Anyone interested in this topic.

Apple replied a few days ago that the "MAC address issues" aka "leading zero" should have been fixed during the 12.2 beta. I however was unable to test it, as I have no devices with a leading zero.

Since 12.2 has now been released, does anyone with the issues care to check, if it still exists. So that I can make the bug report as resolved.

Thx

Thank you for this! I tried doing a router reboot with shortcuts before and I must’ve been missing something, couldn’t get it to work. This works brilliantly. Nicely done !

How would I download the BSSID shortcut? I don't see a link in the post. Thanks!

I never made a download for the shortcut. I just posted screen shots of how to do it. It's really simple to recreate.

One of the main reasons that I like the screenshots, vs a download link is, it gives you a hands on feeling. A sense of accomplishment, of creating something yourself.

Screenshots in post #3

@Googe

Since you asked, I am making a download link for the shortcut. :)

I am also going back and adding text notes to the various portions for those needing to manually tweak the shortcut (advanced users or those with multiple AP's).
I am also adding initial import start up questions. So when you add the shortcut to a new device, it will help you get things setup without a lot of hassle. It should be up here in a day or two.