What's new

IOsafe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

astropuppy

New Around Here
Amazon's recent termination of unlimited cloud drive for $60/year has led me to reevaluate my data configuration. My current subscription is set to expire next month.

I have about 4tb's of data backed up into amazon cloud drive.

Locally: media (pictures, music and video) data is replicated between a workstation and a - very old - dlna server. Losing this would be a pain; but, not the end of the world. Media was the primary reason for the amazon subscription.

General personal data (pictures, home movies, documents) is copied to usb disks and stored in a small portable home safe. usb disks are then periodically rotated to a safe deposit box at our credit union. This data is also backed up to the cloud. Losing family pictures would be sure divorce.

Sensitive personal data (tax returns etc) is replicated between 3 small usb thumb drives with the same workstation -> home safe -> safe deposit box rotation mentioned above. Basically, these thumb drives are only mounted when the data is being worked on and has never seen the cloud.

As you can imagine, all of the above is a bit of work. As for the cloud: The biggest pro is it is always current, the biggest con is it is slow. syncback is a wonderful tool! Another con is I really do not like being at the mercy of corporate decisions.

I like the idea of using an iosafe/nas as a cloud replacement. I also see the opportunity to replace my old dnla server with a nas.

My question: A regular nas box backed up to a iosafe disk drive or a iosafe nas?

I am tending towards a regular nas backed up to a iosafe disk. The nas portion of either solution will be toast should fire take our home. I like the idea of decoupling the nas from the very expensive iosafe.

What do you think?

If you are using the cloud for backup, have you looked at other services?

If you are using the cloud for backup, have you looked at other services?

Yes, but they all suffer from slow upload speeds and policy changes outside my control.

I was all set to go with glacier or backblaze until I realized in event of a fire the pain/cost of a complete restore to new hardware. With an IO safe, its quite possible a trip to a (linux) buddies with the brunt and new drives, I could have my data back in a couple hours.

As a amazon prime member, I still intend to keep a copy of our pictures in the cloud for free. Amazon, unlike Google does not reduce the resolution of pictures files.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!