What's new

IoTs are bad enough. 'Connected cars' take that to a ridiculous level.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

Connected 'anything' is a privacy nightmare. IoTs are NEVER to be trusted. And connected cars are the ultimate personal info grab yet. That people willing pay for.

Sounds just like 'apps' to me, and Apple..., and Google, etc...

This isn't manufacturers doing this on their own. This is a longtime concerted effort by governments, big business (i.e. insurance companies, for one), and other operators that want to track everything and everyone all the time.

I'm jumping on my classic mountain bike and getting some fresh air now. At least these worries are not on my mind. As these devices are never on my network.

Connected 'anything' is a privacy nightmare. IoTs are NEVER to be trusted. And connected cars are the ultimate personal info grab yet. That people willing pay for.

Sounds just like 'apps' to me, and Apple..., and Google, etc...

This isn't manufacturers doing this on their own. This is a longtime concerted effort by governments, big business (i.e. insurance companies, for one), and other operators that want to track everything and everyone all the time.

I'm jumping on my classic mountain bike and getting some fresh air now. At least these worries are not on my mind. As these devices are never on my network.

Makes Teslas really easy to repossess though!

Unfortunately, nearly every car these days has a cellular radio in it. Whether you pay for the feature/service or not, it is still communicating back, checking for updates for the radio/nav/car. All of these cars are potentially hackable.

Even before they all had cellular radios, the onboard computer collects tons of info and if it detects an accident or even hard braking, stores it to memory permanently so the insurance company, police, etc can download it all.

At least IOTs you have a choice not to buy and use them. These days, if you want a car, it will have some level of tracking or connectivity in it (probably both).

Yes, if you want a newer car. Real cars are still available though.

I don't understand what's bothering you.

I heard similar complaints at my brother's auto repair shop about 20 years ago, when the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) started showing up in new cars, which is some chip and some program that controlled the safety of the car. but it will prevent your car from performing stunts. "Take the bus, don't buy a car" is a wise answer from my borther, because almost every car today has such a system.

Soon all vehicles will be connected to the Internet, so taking the bus will never become obsolete tomorrow.

But I think tomorrow we will be more afraid of how not to be killed by a driverless car. ;)

Last edited:

Tesla is one of the worst - they are collecting roughly 750Mb/Sec and the data pool they have built is pretty impressive..

I don't, and never will, own a Tesla...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!