What's new

IP address binding - "is not a valid IP address!" error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zleuth

New Around Here
AC86U primary router with 2 nodes mesh (AC86U and AC68U) firmware version 386.5, I have guest networks setup for IOT devices. DHCP assigns the tertiary IP values in the 101 range (ex. 192.168.101.xxx).
If I attempt to lock in an assigned IP address it errors with "192.168.101.xxx is not a valid address!" -see attached image.

This has persisted from previous firmware versions as well, and I'm not hopeful it'll be resolved with future updates.

I do not want to put IOT devices on the primary network if I can help it, but I can't work out another way to bind IP addresses.

I'm also not enough of a power user to force it through the terminal, but I can follow instructions well enough if someone knows what commands would work or what Entware package could be utilized to solve this.

Thanks

Attachments

• NVIP.jpg
    NVIP.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 122
The simplest way to do this would be to create a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file that contains the assignment you want. For example:
Code:
dhcp-host=44:61:32:C6:CB:F7,192.168.101.237
This would only work when the device connects to the 2.4 GHz guest network. The 5 GHz guest network uses 192.168.102.x

The simplest way to do this would be to create a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file that contains the assignment you want. For example:
Code:
dhcp-host=44:61:32:C6:CB:F7,192.168.101.237
This would only work when the device connects to the 2.4 GHz guest network. The 5 GHz guest network uses 192.168.102.x
I'll give it a shot and see what happens! Thanks!

An old post, but a problem which still exists with the XT12 3.0.0.4.388_24177 firmware from late 2023.

Easy Solution: use the Android app, which doesn't incorrectly validate the IP address.

Longer version... I looked at the router's validation code and it's ugly, checking IP address validity in multiple places, and reporting errors (sometimes incorrectly as here) in around 30 different places. I was going to put a break point on the test and hack around it, but then I saw how ugly the code was - Asus, you should hang your heads in shame - and figured that as they'd coded multiple IP address validators in the router GUI itself, it was likely they'd done the same in the Android app... so it was worth trying that.

It's hard to find precisely where in the horrible UI the static IP assignment is, but it's there, and it doesn't barf on the perfectly valid IP addresses the Asus router uses.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!