What's new

IP address of printer connected to ASUS router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ola Malmstrom

Regular Contributor
I have connected an old HP Laserjet to my ASUS RT-AX88U router. This works fine as long as I print from a PC, where it is easy to install needed drivers.

However, I also want to be able to print directly from smartphones.

I thought the printer IP address would be the same as the routers IP, ie 192.168.0.1. But..... this does not work.

How do I print to this printer from a smartphone?

What model of printer?

How is it connected to the router, Ethernet, WiFi, USB?

What smartphone OS, Android, iOS?

I have a Brother printer attached to my router 192.168.75.1. You need to set it up using Windows as a network printer.

1. You need to specify that its type is TCP/IP Device

2. Host name = IP of your router in my case that was 192.168.75.1

3. You also should check the box query printer to select driver to use.

Unfortunately the router that my printer is attached to isn't an ASUS router so I can't tell you the specific settings you need to select on your router.

Printer: HP Laserjet 100 color MFP m175a (without wireless)

Connected to router: USB cable to USB port on the router. The router tells me that it is accepted:

Phone OS: Android

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 357
Printer: HP Laserjet 100 color MFP m175a (without wireless)

Connected to router: USB cable to USB port on the router. The router tells me that it is accepted:

Phone OS: Android
OK now as I said in my previous response to your post set the printer up as a network printer and then you can print from any device connected to your LAN.

OK now as I said in my previous response to your post set the printer up as a network printer ...
I believe he's already done that as shown in his screenshot. The issue will be that he needs an Android printer app that supports the LPR protocol.

EDIT: I've just tried the Android HP Print Service Plugin and it seems to work OK with the LPR protocol, although I'm not using it with the Asus USB printer server.

Last edited:
I believe he's already done that as shown in his screenshot. The issue will be that he needs an Android printer app that supports the LPR protocol.

EDIT: I've just tried the Android HP Print Service Plugin and it seems to work OK with the LPR protocol, although I'm not using it with the Asus USB printer server.
I have two printers on my network and I have no more issues getting the phones and tablets to print to the USB connected printer than the printer connected by using an Ethernet connection to the LAN.

Correct Colin. Its an old printer that works very well. The only way to connect to it is through a USB cable. It can't be connected to the network using a network cable, and it doesn't have wifi.

I have a separate old wifi print server somewhere. If I connect through that, I should be able to access it through the print server's IP address. But I would like to use the ASUS router's print server instead of an additional piece of HW.

Shouldn't the print server on the ASUS router work the same way? Ie give the printer an IP address?

I have checked the DHCP server and other reports in the router. I have used apps on the phone or PCs to see if there are any unknown IP address in the network. It doesn't seem like the print server on the ASUS router assigns an IP address to the printer - which seems to be needed to use it from a phone.

I have two printers on my network and I have no more issues getting the phones and tablets to print to the USB connected printer than the printer connected by using an Ethernet connection to the LAN.
Which Android printer plugin are you using?

Shouldn't the print server on the ASUS router work the same way? Ie give the printer an IP address?
Yes, the printer's IP address should be that of the router. But it only supports LPR (port 515) printing rather than the more typical port 9100. Confirm the printer connection is working by first setting it up on a Windows PC using these instructions. Make sure you use LPR and not raw.

EDIT: I've just checked on my router and it looks like they've now added support for port 9100 printing. So as @CaptainSTX said you should be able to print from any device on your network.

You said that you tried printing from your phone but it "does not work". What did you try exactly? What phone app are you using and how did you configure it?

Last edited:
I have used two apps from HP. HP's plug-in for HP's printout services and HP Smart.

They both seach for a printer on the network but can't find anything.

As an alternative I can input the printer's IP address. However when I enter the routers IP address it tells me it can't communicate with the printer.

I believe the printer may be too old. I can't find it in HP's list of compatible printers.

The router actually states that the ASUS EZ printer sharing only works for Windows.

Instructions for how to use LPR instead only works for Windows and IOS. Not Android.

So..... I believe I will need to live with printing from PCs only, not from the phones.

Thank you for your answers!!

or instead, connect the printer to an always on PC running windows and share it with everyone ?

See if HP offers a service similar to Epson Prints. This service allows you to print anything from any device to a registered Epson printer by sending any type of document to the printer by attaching it to an e-mail that you send to the printer using an e-mail address created specifically for the printer.

Google used to offer a similar service but they have discontinued it.