What's new

IP Allocation/DHCP Server Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenFactors

Regular Contributor
I'm experiencing a very odd behavior with my RT-AC68U.

I manually assign IPs to the devices that connect to my network. One of these devices is a cellphone to which I've assigned IP 192.168.1.55 For some reason my router always grants, this cellphone, a 192.168.101.### IP. All my other devices are granted the IPs which I've manually assigned to each of them.

Why could this be happening?

I've look all around the router's settings in the hopes of finding the settings that could be causing this issue but everything looks fine.

Steps that I've Taken In Hopes of Solving the Issue.

- I've reset the router by way of the router's web UI.
As soon as the network is back online, when I reconnect the device it gets assigned an IP on the 192.168.101.###

- Went the point of even making sure the cellphone wifi settings were not set to static. With that said, at this point I set the static settings to reflect the one I had manually set on the router DHCP server, but this resulted on the device authentication kept resetting in a loop.

eb 7 10:30:18 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): wl0.1: Assoc 00:H8:B6:0L:18:7B, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Feb 7 10:30:21 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): wl0.1: Deauth_ind 00:H8:B6:0L:18:7B, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0

Does anybody have a clue as to what could be happening? and How can I reset this behavior so that I may be able to successfully manually assign IPs to this devices?

Specs
RTN68U - Merlin v386.1

I'm experiencing a very odd behavior with my RT-AC68U.

I manually assign IPs to the devices that connect to my network. One of these devices is a cellphone to which I've assigned IP 192.168.1.55 For some reason my router always grants, this cellphone, a 192.168.101.### IP. All my other devices are granted the IPs which I've manually assigned to each of them.

Why could this be happening?

I've look all around the router's settings in the hopes of finding the settings that could be causing this issue but everything looks fine.

Steps that I've Taken In Hopes of Solving the Issue.

- I've reset the router by way of the router's web UI.
As soon as the network is back online, when I reconnect the device it gets assigned an IP on the 192.168.101.###

- Went the point of even making sure the cellphone wifi settings were not set to static. With that said, at this point I set the static settings to reflect the one I had manually set on the router DHCP server, but this resulted on the device authentication kept resetting in a loop.

Does anybody have a clue as to what could be happening? and How can I reset this behavior so that I may be able to successfully manually assign IPs to this devices?

Specs
RTN68U - Merlin v386.1
Is your phone set to "randomize MAC address"? On Android, under settings for the wifi network you can select "random" or "phone MAC". Set it to "Phone". This may work for you, this has bitten me before.

Hello Colin.

So the 192.168.101.#'s are for devices on the guest SSID? Is this the expected behavior when connecting a device to a guess SSID, a random IP at 192.168.101.#?

I just noticed that even the DNS IP, which are handled by the router itself, is 192.168.101.1 This is starting to look like a Guest SSID.

Perhaps this is a new behavior? I remember being able to manually assign IPs to devices in a guest group via the LAN DHCP server. Was this flaw, perhaps?

Is your phone set to "randomize MAC address"? On Android, under settings for the wifi network you can select "random" or "phone MAC". Set it to "Phone". This may work for you, this has bitten me before.

I don't see that option anywhere under the devices wifi settings. With that said, the MAC address has been very consistent. Part of the reason why I don't get what's going on lol

Perhaps this is a new behavior? I remember being able to manually assign IPs to devices in a guest group via the LAN DHCP server. Was this flaw, perhaps?
Yes this is expected behaviour. It was an upstream change made by Asus to support guest WiFi networks on AiMesh nodes. It only effects to first guest network on each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. If you use guest networks 2 or 3 you will get the normal IP address range.

Yes this is expected behaviour. It was an upstream change made by Asus to support guest WiFi networks on AiMesh nodes. It only effects to first guest network on each of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. If you use guest networks 2 or 3 you will get the normal IP address range.

You hit it right on the nail.

For such change I'd expect them to use guess-SSID-3 not the very first guess-SSID, the one most people have been using for sure.

Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!