What's new

IP cam setup 8 cameras

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morrison5891

New Around Here
OK, I am about to install 8 Cisco PVC2300 ip cameras using POE.

My question is this ....

I will be connecting this cameras to a Linksys SRW224P - 24 Port PoE Switch w/ 2 Gigabit Ports & WebView

I Think the Linksys router will supply 15.4W simultaneously on 12 ports

So, each cam requires 10w - This should be more then enough to power the cameras, right? I just need to make sure this is correct before I buy this hardware. Also, my other question is this... Once the cams are connected to the switch... how would I assign the IP address to each camera and forward ports so I can monitor all 8 cameras with the software I choose to watch these cameras? The software will be installed on a Windows Vista machine 64 Bit

Thanks for any help!!

802.3af PoE will deliver 15W maximum. Cable losses and other factors derate that to around 12- 13W.

With a switch, you don't have to forward ports.

So this setup is looking pretty good? Do I actually need a router? or would the router only bee good for the purpose of adding another computer to the network?

Thanks for getting back to me.!

You only need a router for connection to the Internet or if your network is segmented.

If needed, you can put the cameras on a separate VLAN if you need to control access, or keep traffic from interfering with the rest of your network.

I'm kinda new at this and i'm just trying to understand all this before I spend 5k on this system. So all I really need to do is hook up all the 8 Cisco PVC2300 PoE cameras to the switch which will be connected to a router... the router will be connected to my cable modem and PC that will monitor these cameras. Once all the hardware is setup, just install the software that comes with the camera and it should find all the IP camers? One more question... connecting the router to the switch or should the switch be connected to the PC?

Again, thanks for any help!

If you're going to be spending that much, maybe you should have someone local help you set it up.

If you are going to be trying to access all of these cameras from outside the LAN, i.e. the Internet, then things get a whole lot more complicated.

If is just from inside the LAN, then things should be simple. But I'm not familiar with the cameras, and know nothing about the software.

Connection sequence is

Internet > Router > Switch > computers and cameras.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!