What's new

IP out of DHCP ranges being assigned?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mamamia88

New Around Here
OK I'm messing around with my network trying to find out what the best setup for me would be when uverse comes and installs next week. My setup is att gateway/router upstairs wired to a desktop, a gargoyle router acting as a bridge for another desktop, and a gargoyle router connected to powerline for a second acess point in the basement. My question is the desktop connected to the bridge is being assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.5 according to ifconfig and my phone is 192.168.1.3 on the linux partition but, the dhcp range is 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.254. Can anyone explain to me why this would be the case? Also for the AP and bridge I changed the last digit in the 192.168.1.x to 7 and 8 respectively if that helps and neither is running their own dhcp server

I can't see what the problem is?

The devices are assigned an IP in the range you've chosen. Or am I missing something?

OK I'm messing around with my network trying to find out what the best setup for me would be when uverse comes and installs next week. My setup is att gateway/router upstairs wired to a desktop, a gargoyle router acting as a bridge for another desktop, and a gargoyle router connected to powerline for a second acess point in the basement. My question is the desktop connected to the bridge is being assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.5 according to ifconfig and my phone is 192.168.1.3 on the linux partition but, the dhcp range is 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.254. Can anyone explain to me why this would be the case? Also for the AP and bridge I changed the last digit in the 192.168.1.x to 7 and 8 respectively if that helps and neither is running their own dhcp server

How is 192.168.5 in the range if the range ends at 192.168.1.253?

That is not what you said in your original post.

So, which is correct?

That is not what you said in your original post.

So, which is correct?
I was off by 1 in the second post it ends at 254. So my assumption that it would hand out ips of .201 .202 .203 etc up to .254 is incorrect? Any reason why dhcp addresses would be assigned in a seemingly random order?

Yes, your assumption is incorrect. It will hand out in seemingly random order (depending on what was recently connected).

To get the behavior you want try a DHCP range of 192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.254 instead.

And if you want the devices in a certain order;

Use DHCP reservations and put them in the order you need.

Yes, your assumption is incorrect. It will hand out in seemingly random order (depending on what was recently connected).

To get the behavior you want try a DHCP range of 192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.254 instead.

And if you want the devices in a certain order;

Use DHCP reservations and put them in the order you need.

ah ok thanks for the clarification. one last ip question. when chosing a router ip can that ip fall in the dhcp range? For example I like being able to go to 192.168.1.1 to access config page. Does that mean that a dhcp range of 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.54 is off limits for the router? I know that with dd-wrt the router would be 192.168.1.1 and it would assign me ip addresses of 192.168.1.1xx

Correct, do NOT set the DHCP range such that a static IP address is within it. The only exception is if your router allows static IP reservations. If that is the case, you can set the static IP addresses as whatever you want and the DHCP range as whatever you want.

Mine does not allow Static IP address assignment, only dynamic. So I set mine to 192.168.1.2-.250 as .1 is my main router and .250-254 is other networking equipment (switch, 2 WAPs, Moca bridge plus free reserved IP for future equipment).

If I had a static routing table, I'd just set those as static routes and leave the full range of .1-.254 open and let it do its magic. The results are the same however.