What's new

IP (with high bandwidth usage) not showing in device list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SloppyPenguin

New Around Here
I switched using Merlin on my RT-N66U so I can monitor the internet usage by device (which is fantastic). The data shows two IP addresses as the highest consumers, but they are no where to be found in the device list. I made sure to refresh the list and checking all pages.

Does this sound like a bug? Any ideas about how to identify those devices (e.g. MAC addresses)?

Thanks!

To determine the MAC address of a remote device:
  1. Open the MS-DOS prompt (From the Run... command, type "CMD" and press Enter).
  2. Ping a remote device that you want to find the MAC address (for example: PING 192.168.0.1).
  3. Type "ARP -A", and press Enter.

Ah! Thanks @ApexRon. `arp -a` worked brilliantly (on Linux) to identify which machine it is from its hostname, but MAC address appears as "incomplete"

mpb-3.home (192.168.1.139) at <incomplete> on wlp1s0

While this is a bit weird (all other MAC addresses are listed OK), this helped me to finally figure out which device this is. Good to know that it's not my neighbor who cracked my wifi ;)