What's new

Ipad,iPhone spamming DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Just a quick question, I went into my router log tonight and it is full of DHCP requests from iPads and iPhones. Will this have a negative effect on the router, should I give them all static ip addresses?

Just a quick question, I went into my router log tonight and it is full of DHCP requests from iPads and iPhones. Will this have a negative effect on the router, should I give them all static ip addresses?

You can safely ignore them unless you're having problems. Giving the device a static ip will get rid of the request though I believe, if you want to try.

That's mostly all I see in my logs day to day. They're more of an irritant than a problem. It would be nice to have an 'quiet-dhcp' option like tomato. Maybe Merlin can work something out in a future firmware.

Giving iphones and ipads static ip's will not change the DHCP requests from them. It's normal for apple products cause I think iphones, ipads, ipods, ...etc are designed to disconnect the wifi when on standby to conserve battery.

You can safely ignore them unless you're having problems. Giving the device a static ip will get rid of the request though I believe, if you want to try.

That's mostly all I see in my logs day to day. They're more of an irritant than a problem. It would be nice to have an 'quiet-dhcp' option like tomato. Maybe Merlin can work something out in a future firmware.

Teddy_bear patched dnsmasq to add the option. I managed to track down his commit, shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Actually, looks like newer versions of dnsmasq have this implemented, only differently.

Try creating a dnsmasq.conf.add with this line:

log-dhcp=none

Looks like an undocumented feature - I see the source code checks if you set this option to "none", but that behaviour is not documented in the manpage.

Hey thanks Merlin, I'll try that option sometime tonight when I get some free time. I had planned on asking about that feature at some point but kept forgetting about it.

As always, thanks for all your work with the firmware!

I know this is an old thread, but I found a contradictory post elsewhere in the forum.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/anyway-to-stop-the-dnsmasq-dhcp-915-in-the-system-log.8942/

the above post has " dhcp-log=none " as a option for dnsmasq.conf.add
This thread says " log-dhcp=none "

It seems both are talking about the same feature with different name. Could anyone clarify this?

I know recent Merlin firmware has an UI option to suppress dnsmasq-dhcp log (Just checked and I could not find it with 380.68.4, I thought I saw it somewhere), but John's fork does not yet, so I would like to give a shot at the manual setting.

Last edited:
ust a quick question, I went into my router log tonight and it is full of DHCP requests from iPads and iPhones. Will this have a negative effect on the router, should I give them all static ip addresses?

Don't worry about it - it's power saving on their side, and it's just to confirm that the IP is the same.

Teddy_bear patched dnsmasq to add the option. I managed to track down his commit, shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Code:
+  /* option to reduce excessive logging for DHCP packets */
+  if (option_bool(OPT_QUIET_DHCP) && strncmp(type, "DHCP", 4) == 0)
+    return;

See - no worries - even without the patch above...

Code:
+  /* option to reduce excessive logging for DHCP packets */
+  if (option_bool(OPT_QUIET_DHCP) && strncmp(type, "DHCP", 4) == 0)
+    return;

See - no worries - even without the patch above...

Do you know how to do without the DHCP log? To me it's unnecessary logging which is bugging me.

neither log-dhcp=none nor dhcp-log=none works in dnsmasq.conf.add

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!