What's new

iPerf results from WIFI6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

3s1k

Regular Contributor
Hello, let me start with I'm new to iPerf. I running iPerf3 from my Galaxy S20+ phone on wifi 6 to my desktop PC that's hardwired to the XT8 router. If it matters my PC is an Intel i7 with an M.2 SSD drive.

I have my desktop set as the server and run the iPerf3 test from my s20. I attached screenshots for my 2 tests.

TEST1 - I'm 3 feet from the router sitting at my desk. The command is "-c 192.168.50.xxx -w 4m -p 10". Not sure what the commands mean just what I found online that improved the speeds.

TEST2 - I set my phone directly onto my XT8 router and ran the same commend.

TEST3 - Same command. I'm sitting on the couch 15ft from the router in the same room. Direct line of site of the router

I haven't ran any tests when connected to the Node upstairs since I just figured out how to use this thing lol. I'm not sure if these speeds are normal. I don't have anything else on the network that's hardwired to the router to test. I has a Synology NAS connected to the router but I can't find the Docker package on the Synology App store which I need to iPerf3 to it.

In my tests you can see there's a big difference depending on my distance. I'm trying to do as much testing as I can on my XT8 Mesh system while I'm still in the return period.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• iPerf3-test1.png
    iPerf3-test1.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 934
  • iPerf3-test2.png
    iPerf3-test2.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 848
  • iPerf3-test3.png
    iPerf3-test3.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 758
Read the iperf3 documentation so that you know what you are doing.

I suggest not using the -w command, which changes window / socket buffer size. It can drastically change results and not in a good way.

Keep it simple. iperf3 has decent defaults. I suggest something like:
Code:
iperf3 -c [ip address] -P 5 -t 60

This will give you 5 parallel connections and run for 60 seconds, using unlimited TCP/IP bandwidth.

The normal traffic direction is from client to server. So if you're running iperf3 server on your desktop, the above command line will test uplink bandwidth (client to AP). If you want downlink bandwidth, add -R, ie
Code:
iperf3 -c [ip address] -P 5 -t 60 -R

@thiggins Thank you. I ran that command from my phone this is what I'm getting.

Edit: did some more testing around the house. Here's a test from the furthest point from the main router. I'm connected to the Node about 18ft away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-183233_Magic iPerf.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007-183233_Magic iPerf.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
I had issues with iPerf giving rubbish stats on my XT8's. I just tried downloading a large file from my NAS to my phone and monitored the bandwidth that way.

I had issues with iPerf giving rubbish stats on my XT8's. I just tried downloading a large file from my NAS to my phone and monitored the bandwidth that way.

I downloaded a 3.7gb in 4min 30 seconds. Not sure if that's good or bad lol.

My s20+ on WiFi 6 connected to the Node. The NAS is hardwired to the XT8 router.

Edit 2nd test. Another different 3.7gb file 6mim 51sec.

Last edited:
I downloaded a 3.7gb in 4min 30 seconds. Not sure if that's good or bad lol ...
Edit 2nd test. Another different 3.7gb file 6mim 51sec.
"About" 137 & 90 Mbps respectively ...

Are your 2.4ghz and 5ghz on same SSID? If so try changing them to be different.

@JagoUK - On my old router I had my SSID separated. I was having issues with the XT8's so I enabled Smart Connect and changed the SSID to be the same. I check the differences throughout the day and they are always connected to the correct band.

@ColinTaylor - Thanks Colin, I was just thinking that last night lol. Thanks for confirming.

@Klueless - 137Mbps and 90Mbps seems a little slow but there could be something limiting it such as NAS or write speed on my phone. My NAS is pretty old, Synology DS209 that doesn't support the latest DSM software. I had to do a software hack to for it to take the latest DSM 6.3.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This forum is great and I'm learning a lot.

@JagoUK - On my old router I had my SSID separated. I was having issues with the XT8's so I enabled Smart Connect and changed the SSID to be the same. I check the differences throughout the day and they are always connected to the correct band.

@ColinTaylor - Thanks Colin, I was just thinking that last night lol. Thanks for confirming.

@Klueless - 137Mbps and 90Mbps seems a little slow but there could be something limiting it such as NAS or write speed on my phone. My NAS is pretty old, Synology DS209 that doesn't support the latest DSM software. I had to do a software hack to for it to take the latest DSM 6.3.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This forum is great and I'm learning a lot.
Ok well just saying as I had issues with my devices roaming the bands despite being within 2m.
That includes S10+ & S20+

Ok well just saying as I had issues with my devices roaming the bands despite being within 2m.
That includes S10+ & S20+

I will give it a try. All the devices still remember the SSID's I used on the old Netgear router so just updating the SSID's is easy peazy.

Now the sad part. One of the mesh nodes just died. I went to the WEBui to get some info for Asus support and the node was disconnected. I tried to power it on and use different outlets even the Power Supply from the main router. It won't turn on. I'm only 6 days into owning it. So, I'm returning it to Amazon and maybe try picking up an Asus RT-AX86u single router.

Try this command...

-c [IP address] -t 10 -i 1 -w 8M

I'm sitting at a table 12 feet from the main router, AX88U.

Results in screenshot. And I get a little higher results from the AP on the 2nd floor. iperf -s running on a server, -c running on my Z Fold 2.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-171413_Magic iPerf.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-171413_Magic iPerf.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 416
Try this command...

-c [IP address] -t 10 -i 1 -w 8M

I'm sitting at a table 12 feet from the main router, AX88U.

Results in screenshot. And I get a little higher results from the AP on the 2nd floor. iperf -s running on a server, -c running on my Z Fold 2.

Thank you for that. This is so odd. You can see two sets of results in my screenshot. The very high speeds is with my phone sitting on top of the xt8 main router.

The 2nd set if speeds, the very slow ones, is me sitting 3 feet from the router in my desk chair.

Why would I loose that much speed 3 feet away?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-132611_Magic iPerf.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-132611_Magic iPerf.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 256
Go to 'Professional' tab in the wireless settings.

At the bottom will be the Tx power adjustment.

What's this set at?

Its set to performance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-141755_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-141755_Chrome.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 205
That's your 2.4Ghz band which is fine. I'm iperf testing on 5Ghz.

Think that would make a difference.

That's your 2.4Ghz band which is fine. I'm iperf testing on 5Ghz.

Think that would make a difference.

My mistake. Here's the 5ghz and its set to performance. Also. I am connected to the main router on wifi 6, 5ghz-1 band. Still the speeds are terrible. Here's another screenshot. Same room as router just in opposite corners (furthest from my desk which is 2-3ft from the router). I'd say I'm roughly 15ft away.

In my screenshots you can see my wifi6 icon on the top right. And I verified on the Asus app mu devices is on the 5ghz band.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-012135_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-012135_Chrome.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_20201010-133009_Magic iPerf.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-133009_Magic iPerf.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 402
Comparing your settings to mine, the only difference I see is the 'DTIM Interval' setting.

Its set to 3 on both of my units.

Apart from that, this is a difficult one. I feel you should be getting better results.

Last edited:
@tekrich I never changed those settings but I see it to 3 on all bands for the sake of testing. I'll run some more iPerfs later.

This is tough and disappointing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!