What's new

iPhone 5s 5Ghz problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozgurcnbyz

Regular Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching the forum didn't help much. My iPhone 5s is able to connect to the 5ghz network without a problem but automatically switches to the 2.4 ghz band in after couple of minutes. Anyone experiencing the same issue ?

Sorry if this has been asked before but searching the forum didn't help much. My iPhone 5s is able to connect to the 5ghz network without a problem but automatically switches to the 2.4 ghz band in after couple of minutes. Anyone experiencing the same issue ?

The iPhone will automatically switch to the best signal of all the bands it knows about. 2.4 is typically better over long distances and depending on the power/RSSI/interference, it may outweigh your 5Ghz depending on how near/far away you are.

The only way to 'fix' it on a particular band is to use different SSID's on the router and 'forget' the other network in the iPhone wifi settings.

Only way I could get iPhone 5 to connect to 5ghz channel reliably with latest firmwares was to turn off wireless security.

As long as I stay no newer than 372.31 iPhone 5 connects great on 5ghz channel WITH security.

We have 2 iPhone 5c's in the house here. They both connect and work on the 5ghz band on Merlin's latest .39. With wpa2 aes.

Configure the router to use different SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and connect the iPhone only to the 5GHz SSID. If previously connected to the 2.4GHz, then go to the iPhone's network settings and "forget" that 2.4GHz network.

As "Pericynthion" said above, the 2.4GHz signal will typically be stronger than 5GHz in areas of your house, and if the iPhone knows about both SSID's, then it will often prefer the stronger 2.4GHz signal and switch to it. By using separate SSIDs and only connecting to the 5GHz, the iPhone will never choose the 2.4GHz band.

Our household has two iPhone 5S, an iPhone 5C, an iPad-3 and an iPad-Air, all working perfectly on 5GHz, with RT-N66U, using WPA2 AES (this with Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.39 currently, but also worked fine with his previous releases as well). The 5GHz band is set to "N Only" and 40MHz channel width.

your iphone should move to the network with the best signal, its normal. to fix this just make your iphone forget your 2.4 network. then it will always stay on 5GHz

well i made it forget the 2.4 ghz but it didnt help. as soon as it gets disconnected from the 5ghz band , the iphone wont connect to any other networks. I guess its not a best option kinda thing. It just "fails over" to the 2.4 ghz.

well i made it forget the 2.4 ghz but it didnt help. as soon as it gets disconnected from the 5ghz band , the iphone wont connect to any other networks. I guess its not a best option kinda thing. It just "fails over" to the 2.4 ghz.

Use two different SIDs for 2.4GHz & 5GHz. There is no "aggregation" happening while keeping the same name for both bands.

Not sure if you've tried 'forgetting' the 5GHz band connection and then re-associating it?

While I'm glad it works for some folks and after trying all the steps one is supposed to try I simply could not get 5ghz to work reliably with my early model RN-N66U and iPhone 5.

Works perfectly with 372.31. Perfectly.

Gave up already. Will give up on the asus router soon. Spending too much time on this router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would give up the phone instead. lol...

Do a "reset network settings" to clean all wireless profiles then try to connect to the 5 GHz band recreating the profile. How far are you from the router when it disconnects?

i am at most 4-5 meters away when it disconnects. This router has been more trouble than its worth. sick and tired of clearing nvram rebooting manually doing everything again etc. There is no way i am tossing the iPhone 5s which is a fantastic device. rt-ac66u ? i dunno. not happy with it

i am at most 4-5 meters away when it disconnects. This router has been more trouble than its worth. sick and tired of clearing nvram rebooting manually doing everything again etc. There is no way i am tossing the iPhone 5s which is a fantastic device. rt-ac66u ? i dunno. not happy with it

it's the router, it's junk, go get a n66

So, in this last post you mention the router you're having issues with. Still don't know any specific steps you've taken to resolve this issue or the firmware version you're trying this with.

But it does seem like the RT-N66U is also giving others problems with the iphone.

Doesn't seem like a stretch that it is either the Broadcom/Asus drivers that cause these issues or that the phone itself is not up to par either (hardware/software/drivers?).

Good that you seem to think this phone is a great fit for you - I feel it was a hugely expensive toy that couldn't even message dependably. Different users, different expectations.

Does any other identical model phone give you the same headaches?

Some are having no issues, some like myself are.

Don't know why.

I encouraged you to try the 732.31 version and see what your results are.

If I started out my experience with the RT-N66U with one of these newer firmwares I'd have taken the router back too.

That would have been a mistake.