What's new

IPSec VPN doesn't work until WAN - NAT Passthrough is toggled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtadams89

New Around Here
Running 384.11_2 on a RT-AC66U_B1. I have a client on my network attempting to connect to a IPSec VPN through the router. After a fresh router boot, the client us unable to connect to the VPN. Doing a packet capture on the client, I see an initial ISAKMP packet to destined to the VPN IP with no response, and then a period retry of that initial ISAKMP packet. If I go into the router to the "WAN - NAT Passthrough" page and cahnge/apply ANY of the settings, the client is then able to connect to the VPN. Even if I then revert the "WAN - NAT Passthrough" settings back, the client is still able to connect. If the router is rebooted, the issue returns.

I want to be absolutely clear, the actual value of the settings on the "WAN - NAT Passthrough" page have no impact on whether the client can connect to the VPN or not, it's just simply that a setting on that page must be changed/applied to fix the problem temporarily until the next router reboot.

Any additional data I can collect & provide to help figure out the issue here?