What's new

IPTables Noob

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnathon

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am trying to write or append additional rules into the IPtables within the router as there are some random ports open on the device that I would like to close. I read over the wiki and did some googling but I am really not clear as to how I can setup the router to drop udp/tcp traffic from any source to those ports.

If anyone could offer any guidance I would appreciate it. I edited the file manually and it didn't retain upon reboot, the wiki doesn't really address it and I am unsure how the iptables command works via the ssh shell.

Also, there is talk of lots of scripts, is there a repository someone could link me to?

Thanks for your patience.

J

I am trying to write or append additional rules into the IPtables within the router as there are some random ports open on the device that I would like to close.

It would be better if you just "turned off" any ports that are open rather than spending a lot of time creating custom scripts with firewall rules.

What are the ports that are open?

I would close everything, and whitelist the ports needed, like this:
WhiteListFirewall.jpg

There is not a single port open to the Wan by default, so I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I suspect he might be talking about ports that are open on the LAN side. However, unless @Johnathon gives us more detailed information we can't help him.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!