What's new

IPTV behind router - Using 2 ports as unmanaged switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abgx1

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have dumb IPTV set top box, which must be connected in WAN network

PhqTBb1.png

Is it possible to configure router in this way? I am using Linksys EA6400 with tomato shibby FW

Are you able to put the IPTV box in a DMZ, as set up in your router? You would probably have to assign a static IP address to the IPTV box, reboot the router, then assign that IP address to the DMZ. Reboot the router once again. That should work.

Does the IPTV box really need to run two ports?

How does everyone else with your ISP run this particular IPTV box?

If the modem will assign more than one IP address, you could install an ethernet switch after the modem and connect the IPTV box and router to that switch. Each connected device port would have its own IP address if the modem is configured to allow this.

In either case that puts the IPTV box outside of any firewall, which is rather interesting.

Last edited:
I need 2 ports, cos I have 2 IPTV boxes :)

Everybody else have switch before router, so its like
tzace6e

I have switch after modem connected right now, but I need to remove it for several reasons...

I can try DMZ, but wouldnt it be still routered?

Last edited:
Yes, it will run thru the router, but it will run in the Demiliterized Zone, which should be the same as running a switch after the modem. Only difference should be the IP address assigned by the router instead of the modem. Are the IPTV boxes picky in terms of their IP addresses and which box (router or modem) they are connected to? While this might work, you might find that certain services are not available. It depends on whether or not the modem supports specific services by passing their IP address to the IPTV boxes. If you connect the IPTV box to a router, there is a good chance that they won't be able to receive those IP addresses thru the router. Only way to find out is to experiment. Does the ISP advise the IPTV users that router use isn't supported? If so, that would be the reason why, the modem is paired with the IPTV box to provide all of the services that the ISP will provide thru the IPTV box.

as you said, when I tried DMZ, specific services stoped working(HD channels, weather...)

When I had asus router, there was an simple IPTV setting in GUI, which worked well for me, I just had to choose LAN port where IPTV will be connected

setup-84037-large.jpg

Thats how it looked

So basicaly I just need to do this same, but in tomato shibby... Cant it be somehow done with VLANs?

No, I cant, I reflashed CFE years ago, which doesnt work with stock FW

and I am also using other tomato possibilities, so..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!